1946 Half DDO?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Geod, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Geod

Geod Member

Could this possibly be a DDO?

Thanks for looking

WIN_20170222_09_55_55_Pro.jpg WIN_20170222_09_39_08_Pro.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It's possible, but the image is a bit fuzzy for me.

Chris

4. 180IQ

180IQ Active Member

UNUM is doubly dublin

5. 180IQ

180IQ Active Member

Pic of the entire obverse please?

6. Geod

Geod Member

Best I can do

WIN_20170222_12_00_55_Pro.jpg WIN_20170222_12_01_13_Pro.jpg WIN_20170222_12_02_05_Pro.jpg

180IQ likes this.
  7. 180IQ

180IQ Active Member

I don't know if it's just the fuzzy pics, but that coin looks FAKE. Also the original question was DDO? The UNUM looks very doubled, so possibly DDR, not DDO. I would need much clearer pics to make any semblance of a good guess. Pics kind of look like polaroid run through a scanner.

8. 180IQ

180IQ Active Member

I can't take very good pics, so don't feel bad. Sometimes it's inferior equipment, sometimes operator error, bad light, so many things need to go right to get a great pic. If it's you, keep practicing, if it's the equipment, try to borrow or buy better stuff. So many people carry around great cameras in their phones nowadays, borrowing is usually a good option.

9. Geod

Geod Member

The coin is in an older PCGS holder. Could account for the blurriness? I'll try to get better pics

10. 180IQ

180IQ Active Member

It's a common date, when the dies get really worn the coins that are produced look fake to me. I have a weak strike morgan that looks fake to me as well.

11. 180IQ

180IQ Active Member

From your pics it looks the same as a 46 DDR, but it looks like a 1946-D to me? Is your coin a 1946-D? I don't see a 46-D DDR as a recognized error. If it is, you may have a rare bird.

12. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

The "D" is visible at about 7:30 on the reverse.

Chris

PS. I'm surprised that anyone would submit this coin for grading with those carbon spots on the coin. I'll bet they dipped it just before the submission, but the spots returned after it was slabbed.

13. 180IQ

180IQ Active Member

I thought it was a D, but the pics are fuzzy. For all I knew it could've been an S, or lint stuck to the coin. Yeah it does look like a D more than anything. Hopefully for OP it is a 1946-D DDR.

14. Geod

Geod Member

Yes you are right It is a 46-D. Could this be the first 46-D found? That would be terrific!

15. 180IQ

180IQ Active Member

No, it couldn't be the first 46-D found, but if it's a genuine DDR then maybe it's the first 46-D DDR. lol.

16. Geod

Geod Member

DDR is what I meant to type Just a little excited I guess. What has to be done to verify it is a true 46-D DDR

17. 180IQ

180IQ Active Member

Well there's a difference between die doubling, machine doubling, etc, but if you get some better pics up, the "experts" can chime in. The final step is sending the coin to a TPG for attribution. NGC, PCGS, ANACS, are the top three professional grading companies, you get a membership, fill out the forms, be careful, you have to request variety attribution, or you'll just get your coin back graded as a normal 46-D. Generally you should try your best to verify on your own that it's for real, so you don't waste money on submission.

18. 180IQ

180IQ Active Member

Do a search on doubled die versus machine doubling.

19. Geod

Geod Member

Thanks for all the info everyone. I'll do some research and see if I can determine anything. If I can get better pictures I will upload them

20. 180IQ

180IQ Active Member

I'm not the best at inspecting coins, but I feel like I'm the best judge of any coin that's right in front of me. You can use a jewelers loupe, microscope if you have one, stereo microscopes can be had for $100 or less, maybe not a great brand new one, but a tried and true antique one. Serious collectors should get the tools right?

21. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

YES, BUT...

DDR

Draft saved Draft deleted