1945S Mercury Dime DDO?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by KelcyLin, Apr 30, 2021.

1. KelcyLin

KelcyLin New Member

New to coin collecting and I am very interested in DDO and learning/finding them on coins. So I'm curious to this Mercury Dime I have here in photos. It almost looks triple to me? Can anyone share their knowledge please and thank u in advance.

-K.O

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

Post “full image” of both sides...but I think this is worn die...die deterioration...jmho...Spark

capthank likes this.
  4. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Like @Spark1951 Said , Welcome to Coin Talk !

KelcyLin likes this.
  5. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard The CT Train. As stated above and pics. should be in proper orientation. We have trouble standing on our heads to view them. :)

6. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

The small area your images display show radial flow lines on the coins surface. Sure sign of a deteriorated die.

Mountain Man likes this.
  7. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

As noted, there is die deterioration noticeable on the devices you've presented here. You can also see Machine Damage (MD) in the devices, the bump of the tool/equipment on the stroke resulted in that smearing effect you see on one side of the lettering. The die was fading from use and the setup a little sloppy when that dime was made. But I don't see any hub doubling.

8. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

That's not a doubled die, it's just a worn die and some slippage when the planchet was struck.

mike estes likes this.
  9. KelcyLin

KelcyLin New Member

Gotcha. I will fix the photos lol I know better than to post photos like that. My apologies! Thank you for all the replies I appreciate all of them.

expat likes this.
  10. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Well, now that everyone got the bad stuff out of the way, WELCOME TO THE NEIGHBORHOOD, KELCY!;):woot::):happy::D

Inspector43 likes this.
  11. William Brownson

William Brownson New Member

it looks like it says "IN COD WE TRUST" so it most likely looks damaged but that is my opinion to the untrained eye. so I hope that you got something valuable and have a good day!:happy:

12. 1865King

1865King Well-Known Member

Machine Doubling

13. William Brownson

William Brownson New Member

you know what, I think that is an error because I do not see any damage to where the rest of the "G" is supposed to be. it looks like it is un-scratched where the little hook is supposed to be. YOU GOT YOURSELF AN ERROR!

14. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

No and No as stated above just simple DDD,MD.The op's coin is only worth melt possibly a little bit more.

Kevin Mader likes this.
  15. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Welcome to CT. Full pictures of both sides is very helpful, from what I can see it is simply a worn die. We have all been where you are, the only way to learn is to continue the search, we are here to help and continue our learning process also. good luck.

Kevin Mader likes this.
  16. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I don't think so! Just from that close-up image, you can see extensive die deterioration.

Hookman and Kevin Mader like this.
  17. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

@William Brownson ...as you see, members strive for accuracy of information on all our forums...and if you post misleading or downright wrong info you will be corrected. So, stick around, it’s part of the learning process.

Get a Red Book and go to doubleddie.com and read about How Dies Are Made. Both will help you immensely going forward.

Welcome to Coin Talk...jmho...Spark

Hookman and Mountain Man like this.
  18. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

CHECK out prices on usa coinbook and ebay, any coin that leaves the mint, not as it was intended to look, ie planchet damage, misaligbed due, etc still has value to collectors, just look at the prices they are getting, it is nonsensical to say these coins are worth just melt, i myself would pay 5,00 or so for a coin like this (and no, this is not an offer to buy so do not delete this post, grrr)

19. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

I don't think many people would consider purchasing, let alone putting a price on, an image showing only a small portion of the coin.

Kevin Mader likes this.
  20. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

i like machine doubling..i think they are nicer than most of these ddo's you need a magnifier to even see what it is most of the time

eddiespin likes this.
  21. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

There are many kinds of doubled dies and all but one of them are undesirable. A true doubled die is tough to find. All others types like, DDD, MD, Ejection Doubling, Split Plate Doubling and many more all fall under the term NAV. Which means No Added Value Doubling. Your coin is a DDD or Die Deterioration Dubling. It’s common and a form of NAV.

Welcome to CT.

Draft saved Draft deleted