1945 Wheat Penny unaligned head and tail

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Richard Patlan, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Richard Patlan

Richard Patlan New Member

This is 1945 wheat penny doesn’t line up from the heads side and the tails side. All coins are right side up when flipped, am I wrong? Well this one as you can see the tail side doesn’t line up with the heads side. Should I retire having this penny? (J/K)

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

rotated die error, not worth much especially in the poor condition that cion looks to be in...

spirityoda and Oldhoopster like this.
  4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

The Die was rotated just enough to show interest but don't retire. Too bad the coin is in bad shape. Welcome to CT.

5. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

Now I’ll have to check all my 1945 cents for this

6. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

You got some ink on your hands.
    hahahahahaha just playing.

gotta be 90-120 degree rotation or so
    your picture that shows tilted in the mirror so the reverse can be seen throws off the perspective to get an accurate idea of HOW MUCH rotation their is, but there is significant rotation.
    And it's got to have some added value because of that. condition isn't that great though, I don't think you can retire off it, but you should be able to make a few bucks off it, nothing crazy.

either way though, it's a good find as an example, although the condition is poor.
    Rotated die errors are more valuable with between 90-180 degrees of rotation. most collectors won't bother with them at all unless they are 90 degree rotation or more.

general rule of thumb on rotated die coins.
    - The older the coin the more likely a rotated die would occur = less desirable, it happens less with the modern minting techniques and equipment

- 90 degrees or less usually commands little to no premium, people generally want them dramatically rotated

- The closer to 180 degrees the better for added value to a coin

-There is NO set dollar amount of premium over the value of the coin itself

- Rare coin + Rotated die = Highest Premium Paid

as far as the degree of rotation goes, "UP" is "UP" on either side, the rotation is seen on the opposing side, theres no way to determine which side rotated really. think of the coin like a face of a clock though, 3 o clock is 90 degrees, 6 o clock is 180 degrees, 9 o clock is 270 degrees, 12 o clock is 360 degrees, 30 degrees for every hour mark.

If it rotates 360 degrees, nothing changes, and since we don't know which way it rotated, 9 o clock is also out leaving just the 0 degrees from 12 o clock to 180 degrees at 6 o clock. beyond 6 o clock, it's possible it rotated in the other direction so 180 degrees is the maximum, and you still get the same degree of rotation up to 180 either way.

A guy on ebay shows his in 2x2's marked on both sides like this measuring 1in and drawing the centering lines on both sides, then when the coin is put in with one side up, the degree of rotation can be better judged on the reverse side. I like this method actually, but it could be easily faked also.... anyways, i like it as a decent method of determining the degree of rotation.
    rotated dies are very common at less than 30 degrees rotation and I think mint tolerance is either 7 or 8 degrees being acceptable, there's a lot on ebay with within mint tolerance rotation or too close to it.
    768.PNG 769.PNG

7. Richard Patlan

Richard Patlan New Member

This is the 1945 wheat penny. When flipped this is how much it is off from being straight up.

Attached Files:

Roman Collector likes this.
  8. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

Nice. 70-75 degrees rotation.

Draft saved Draft deleted