1945 wheat penny- is it an error?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Daniel kim, Dec 15, 2020.

1. Daniel kim

Daniel kim New Member

Hi everyone, was hoping to get some insight on this penny i found.

Attached Files:

alurid likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

DEFDAM - Definitely Damaged

Unfortunately.. Someone snipped it Post Mint.
    Not a Mint Error of any kind.

Welcome to CoinTalk.

4. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

5. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Insight? It is PMD, or Post Mint Damage, meaning it was damaged after it left the mint, so not an error of any kind, if that's what you were wondering.
    Welcome to CT BTW.

6. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Welcome to Coin Talk. Awesome coin for your first post.
    Your coin has received damage. And that damage was done post strike, and is not an error coin. But I believe it may have received the damage at the mint.
    After coins are stuck the they are feed into a hopper for bagging. They slide down a shute with a manual cut-off gate that can trap and pinch a coin between the shute and the gate which in turn will pinch and gouge the coin in a rotational fashion.
    I do not think your coin was pinched with any kind of pliers or wire cutters, they do not leave a burr /raise edge on the edge of their pinch. You should be able to see lines inside the gouge on your coin that traverse the entire width of the pinch, this effect cannot be made with pliers. The gouge is round at its bottom due to the rolling action of the coin as it was pinched. It also has the small pigtail of copper on the reverse side that has been push back down onto face of the coin.
    I could go on with other details but that is almost a moot point as your coin holds no value because most people don't recognize it for what it is and the rest don't care because they cannot make a profit from it.
    I own a coin that has the same type of damage as yours and was told the damage was done with pliers a such tools. I spent a bit of time trying to recreate such damage on several coin with no positive results.
    DSC06309.JPG 20180315_194126.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted