1945 Wheat Penny DDO-001 Extra Thickness

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by RabbiSchmooley, Jan 20, 2021.

1. RabbiSchmooley

RabbiSchmooley Active Member

Found this on closer inspection of some wheaties from my stash. The extra thickness appears to match the listing for VarietyVista's DDO-001, but the only die marker (die scratch above the 1) would have definitely worn away by now. Anybody have anything constructive to offer on this? I included a SS of VV's listing for reference.
    20210120_091758.jpg 20210120_091751.jpg 20210120_091826.jpg 20210120_091833.jpg 20210120_091837.jpg 20210120_091845.jpg 20210120_091850.jpg
    Screenshot_20210120-091929_Chrome.jpg

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    capthank and DarkRage666 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Hey Rabbi, I tried to see what your trying sell, but I'm not buying . Normal date . No extra thickness . Have a great day !

Spark1951 and DarkRage666 like this.
  4. RabbiSchmooley

Did you even look at the VV listing? Have a good one.

5. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

:troll: Yes I did . I looked for about 5 minutes . That's the last time I answer your questions :blackeye::stop: .

6. RabbiSchmooley

I guess if that's how you handle someone asking you a question, then that's fine with me. I asked because I forgot to include the screenshot when I first posted, jsyk. Peace out man, set me to ignore and have a good one.

dDuck likes this.
  7. CaptHenway

CaptHenway Survivor

What is the precise weight?

8. DarkRage666

DarkRage666 Ͳìɾҽժղҽʂʂ Ͳąҟҽղ ටѵҽɾ

I second @SensibleSal66 I don't see anything... Sorry man

9. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

I agree, just a Lincoln cent. Better luck next time.

RabbiSchmooley likes this.
  10. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

This thread reads like someone's trying to make a dollar out of 15 cents! :D There's nothing there but a Lincoln cent, spend it while you can! ;)

11. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

@RabbiSchmooley ...as a CT member, you must be open to constructive criticism. To be fair, though, you do seem to be handling that contained in some of the responses, constructive or not. You have to expect some in every post.

As far as the coin is concerned, here is some more.

The flattening of the lettering and numerals is due to normal wear. No one knows how long the coin circulated before being removed from circulation, but I would hazard a guess of at least 20-25 years.

If die markers have been obliterated by wear (or damage), there is no way to confirm doubling or die pairs.

Extra thickness is one of the harder attributes to find and confirm, but keep in mind it is minor doubling. In this case, IMO...the wear flattening is mimicking your perceived thickness.

I hope you take this as constructive, this my intent. Don’t expect every member in every post to tell you that...Spark

12. montynj3417

montynj3417 Active Member

Hey! Thought you'd already flounced out.

13. enamel7

enamel7 Junior Member

Not a doubled die.

14. Cliff Reuter

Cliff Reuter Well-Known Member

I agree it's not a doubled die.

The easiest place to spot it is in the bottom left corner of BER. Your's doesn't match VV images. Lots of times with this class6 type thickness, the "spine" of each letter of BER will be curved. The stronger the thickness the more curved it is.

15. RabbiSchmooley

I can handle constructive criticism, I even expect and welcome it since that's how you learn, and I haven't been rude or out of turn. I just asked the guy if he had looked at the listing. I said I had included it in the first post but forgot to upload it, I added it after reading his comment. I'm not sure what about that was offensive.

I'm not telling anyone they're wrong about this coin, and frankly I don't give a damn what it is worth. I took up coin collecting to pass the time while I'm stuck home thanks to covid, not to make a quick buck. I posted it here as I thought I had identified it and I knew if I was wrong somebody was going to speak up. I don't care if it is just a penny, I'm just trying to tune my eyes for collecting and everyone assumes I'm after the dollar bills. Doesn't seem like I can fart or cough without stirring people up here.

16. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

@RabbiSchmooley ...we have many members who post and don’t accept the responses they get. I read “constructive” in post #1 and thought you meant “I don’t want any negative responses”. I apologize if I misread your intent.

Going forward, I don’t think you offended anyone, but some people are touchy and get bent out of shape anyway. You are not going to please everyone.

What I can guarantee you: inaccurate info will be called out. CT members, in the vast majority, will correct any bad info.

I trust your next post will be spectacular, and I look forward to it...Spark

btw, farting and coughing are not allowed on the forum (smile).

17. mike estes

mike estes Well-Known Member

im trying to learn and tune my eyes as well RabbiSchmooley ive looked and looked at all the pictures and like Spark1951 wrote "If die markers have been obliterated by wear (or damage), there is no way to confirm doubling or die pairs". i didn't see any of those markers and i just think your coin is worn so bad that i couldn't see what your seeing, sorry man. good luck

Draft saved Draft deleted