1945 wartime nickel value

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Swervo513, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Swervo513

Swervo513 Well-Known Member

image.jpg image.jpg

Hey everyone,

just another thread trying to figure out the value of a coin. I've heard and seen different values on this coin in this condition but would like to know what the general consensus is here. Thanks for looking and for info.

Larry

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

There's nothing really special about this coin except that it has silver in it. Honestly, it's too worn for me judging from the pics. I'd likely pay a few dollars over melt price at most for this since you can pick up nicer ones in MS quality having great luster for just a few dollars more on a good day.

4. Pi man

Pi man Well-Known Member

Id say around $1.50 to $2.00 just for the melt silver in it.

5. adric22

adric22 Member

I have an entire tube of these, although some are more worn than yours. I got them just for the silver bullion value, though. I also cleaned mine as I don't like black coins.

6. Shoewrecky

Shoewrecky Coin Hoarder

Cleaning your coins is a big NO NO.. Please stop doing that or you can give your coins to me :)

7. slackaction1

slackaction1 Supporter! Supporter

so collecting nickels or all nickels there would be not much value in them if your first starting out collecting them?? except I guess for some dates then or someone explain please..

8. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

There are some big nickel fans here who will hopefully chime in. There's nothing wrong with collecting nickels. Only the "war nickels" have silver in them so if you're after silver those are the ones to go after. Other nickels may have a higher value depending on the usual things like condition, mintages, etc. Check out some auction websites or dealers and you'll see how expensive nickels can be.

Think my LCS will buy war nickels around 0.75.

9. slackaction1

slackaction1 Supporter! Supporter

okay thanks

10. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

With melt value around $1.86, expect that or a little more when selling on eBay. And since the melt value exceeds the numismatic value (with lower grade coins such as yours), clean 'em if you prefer!

11. Mr. Flute

Mr. Flute Well-Known Member

For average circulated ones like this, my lcs also pays $0.75 each, but I did find a shop that pays (right now) $1.50 each, which is very good.

Myself, I prefer to get them for $0.05 each since they are relatively easy to find from roll searching (for me at least)

12. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

There certainly isn't!
    Jefferson nickels are a great coin to collect for many reasons. Sure, aside from a couple of key dates, they are pretty inexpensive in uncirculated condition.
    Putting together an uncirculated set can be done easily and inexpensively. However, some collectors, like myself, go beyond that and collect high grade, toned examples.
    The long history of this series has been plagued with terribly worn dies, weak strikes, low MS grades and inferior overall eye appeal for many of it's years. Since the composition of the coin is not silver, except for the war nickels, beautiful toning isn't as easy to come by compared to it's silver counterparts (dimes, quarters, etc..).
    If you throw the full-step designation into it, it becomes an even greater challenge to put together a gem set. For some years, it becomes near impossible.

The Jefferson series get's a bad rap and is very underrated, in my opinion. When most people think of Jefferson nickels, they think of the one in their pocket they received in change at the store.
    I haven't seen nickels like this in my change! Maybe these will show off how amazing Jeffy's can be.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. hrhomer

hrhomer Member

If the coins have NO VALUE ABOVE MELT, there is no problem with cleaning them so they appeal to your eye. They are worth the exact same after cleaning as before - MELT VALUE.

14. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Its nickels like these that completly changed my mind about them!

15. Swervo513

Swervo513 Well-Known Member

16. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Yes.

Don't have my book handy, but Google gave 58,939,000 as the mintage for the 1945 S.

17. rockyyaknow

rockyyaknow Well-Known Member

Agreed! If their values are high because of the melt value in silver , go for it and clean them.

18. rockyyaknow

Te rarest would be the 1943/2 P War Nickel. That one you may not want to clean if you have one.

19. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

War nickels are not rare for any of the dates. You can find some conditional rarities at the highest grades with full steps and the 45-S is the rarest with full steps. But consider that this 1945-S is graded MS67, the NGC population is 1674/3. In circulated grades, there are millions of war nickels and they have no numismatic value, only intrinsic value from the silver.

[​IMG]

Are you sure about that? I think the populations are very close.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. rockyyaknow

I think what I meant is that it is the one with the most value over the silver melt minus the grade.

21. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Yeah, I don't know about that either. The 1943-P Doubled Eye rivals the 1943/2-P in both rarity and price in almost every grade. It just doesn't get the same amount of discussion as the overdate. IMO, it is a much cooler variety than the overdate. It has doubling on the eye, LIBERTY, and the date.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted