1945 Unesco Medal

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by GeorgeM, Mar 11, 2013.

1. GeorgeM

GeorgeM Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GeorgeM

Is this setting off a ping on anyone's radar?

4. GeorgeM

Did any private mints make commemoratives for UNESCO? Or do they mint all of their own medals?

5. wiggam007

wiggam007 Cut-Rate Parasite

Can't say I know anything about it, but very cool medal!

Have you tried tracking down the artist's initials as one avenue?

6. wiggam007

wiggam007 Cut-Rate Parasite

Just doing some quick research, the constitution for UNESCO was completed in November 1945 but it wasn't ratified until 1946 and UNESCO treats 1946 as its founding year, so it probably has something to do with just the writing/signing of the constitution, and thus maybe why it doesn't appear as an UNESCO medal since technically UNESCO wasn't around yet. Just a thought.

7. NorthKorea

NorthKorea Dealer Member is a made up title...

It sounds like a paperweight. I'll see if I can get any info from ESCO.

8. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

I believe they're made by the Paris Mint.

9. GeorgeM

Any estimate on value?

10. GeorgeM

11. GeorgeM

I'm not sure where to start doing a search like that. Any suggestions?

The initials appear to be "LAY" if I'm reading them correctly. So, a Lewis, Lawrence, Liam, Lucas, Lilith, Lola, Logan, or Lexi, perhaps?

Also, apparently Google now automatically searches for other tenses of words used in you searches (LAY --> laid). When did it start doing that?! Kinda cool, but annoying in this case.

12. torontokuba

torontokuba Thread Crapper & Hijacker, TP please.

13. GeorgeM

I did find another of these listed on eBay, with the suggestion that it was minted in 1971 & engraved by a Georges Lay (citing Bibliographie : voir CGMP p1170 vol4.).

Can't seem to find much on Georges Lay other than the fact that he worked/works for Monnaie de Paris:
    http://www.monnaiedeparis.fr/en_US/...eableID=aHGsE6zmSxsAAAFHF2EVbAie&PageNumber=6

I've not tried using artists to identify a coin or medal before. I didn't expect it to be particularly fruitful, as it can sometimes be hard to find out anything about the engravers behind ever fairly well known coins, but I'm holding out hope. What resources would list an artist's oeuvre (or, if I'm using the wrong term, their complete body of work)?

Before I posted, I did try searching the French version of Wikipedia, and turned up the following (I presume George & Georges were the same engraver):
    https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Lay

Would this be his "Médaille La terre"?

Draft saved Draft deleted