1945-P/P Jefferson Nickel CH/GEM BU (Which RPM-008?)

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Lehigh96, Dec 27, 2021.

?

Is this Jefferson Nickel a 1945-P/P RPM-008

1. YES

2. NO (please explain)

3. IDK, just show results.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I am getting better at assigning RPMs, but when a date has 92 of them it becomes a little difficult. My guess for this rainbow toned beauty is 1945-P RPM-008. Compare my color photos with the black and white of Variety Vista shown below.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Variety Vista lists a die clash on the obverse above the queue for this RPM in MDS and LDS, but this coin does not exhibit a die clash (see photo below).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

NGC lists 1945-P/P RPM-008 as VP-011 so I can submit this coin and get the variety designation. Is there anyone who thinks this coin is not an RPM-008? And if so, why? I have attached a poll for you to vote your opinion, but please, if you don't know, select that option.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Appears to be to me, but what do I know?

dwhiz likes this.
  4. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Beautiful war nickel looks like an RMP at least to me,good luck.

5. Danomite

Danomite What do you say uh-huh

If it’s -008 then it would also be a DDR-005. I can’t tell from the pictures of there is separation in the EPU.

6. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

The RPM looks ok. The reverse for this one is also known as DDR-005 with North to South die scratches. It could also be possibly stage C with the clash abraded or struck out and no-one so far has sent one in for attribution to VV.
    Just my thoughts

Paddy54 likes this.
  7. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

8. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

First of all I agree with the variety being exactly as he has posted.
    Let's understand that #1 die cracks,& clash marks I never consider major pups.
    Both can be or not be present dependind on diie state. Add the fact just about 120 million 1945 P were struck. Anyone wantbto take an educated guess as to the number of dies that were used? How many were paired off with an opposite die to maintaine production numbers in the millions?
    As the op states this date and mint mark 1945 P there are over 92 known varieties.
    The 1943 P has like 70 some.....known varieties.
    Another consideration is the time peroid ....it's WW ll ,and skilled machinist who worked on the war efforts weren't minting coins...
    The war nickel series offers the Jefferson nickel collector hundreds of varieties....some of the top known in the series.
    I have no doupt the coin is the variety or even a sub variety..... known or unknown.
    The plus or minus dies cracks,and clashes etcc....., can be do to die state. And not always present.

expat likes this.
  9. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Looks good

10. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I nailed this one, and the grade came back higher than I had expected, which was MS64-65.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted