1945-P Jefferson Nickel: VP-009 (P/P) or Machine Doubling?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Lehigh96, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I was photographing and cataloging this 1945-P Jefferson War Nickel today and I noticed some minor doubling of the mintmark on the photo. Do you error guys think this is an RPM variety or simple machine doubling?

[​IMG]

Sorry about the photo, that is as big as my photo equipment can make the mintmark. For reference purposes, here is a photo of the VP-009 from NGC's site.

[​IMG]

Let me know, thanks!

Chuck_A likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

Definitely an RPM. There are so many that it’ll take a little effort to look it up. Try Variety Vista. I’ll check when I get home to my resources there. We should be able to get you an answer.

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I wish that your image could be a little larger, but if I had to decide based on this image, I'd have to say, "No!" The top-left of your image doesn't have the small separation like the NGC image, and the base looks slightly different. Of course, a better photo might change my mind.

Sorry, Paul.

Chris

5. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

I'm not a Die Variety guy, but it
    seems like:

1. Your coin is not the RPM from the NGC site.

2. Your coin might have an RPM, albeit different
    from the V-009 listing

6. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

I need to see more of your coin, but I'm leaning towards 1945-P
    RPM-017. Can you show more shots of the obverse and reverse?

Paddy54 and Chuck_A like this.
  7. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I'm at the 017 myself . The amount of rpm's there is on war nickels I believe the 43 P has 70 + known rpm's, but in this case the 017 here looks spot on.

Kevin Mader likes this.
  8. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

There are a few RPM's that are also doubled dies ....which reminds me I still need to send in an 1942 P proof type 'll struck with the obv. Of 42 P type l.

Heavymetal likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted