1945 Micro S Mercury Dime - Thoughts on Grade?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Omegaraptor, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

This is a coin that I have had for a while. I bought it out of a junk silver bin for $1.30. It has strong luster (the reverse toning mutes the luster) and has full split bands under a 16x loupe. One of the strongest strikes I've seen on a 45 Micro S, in fact.

1945microsobv.jpg 1945microsrev.jpg

Before I send it to PCGS, what do you guys say about it? Also, should I do anything to the reverse in order to bring out the luster? An experienced collector I know says the reverse "toning" may actually be a dirt-based substance that might come off with acetone.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

I like it! Maybe an acetone bath. I wouldn't do much else.

Spark1951 and Inspector43 like this.
  4. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

It looks like a Ch AU to Mint State coin. The reason why I don’t say Mint State is that I am looking at a photo to grade it.

ksparrow and robec like this.
  5. Islander80-83

Are these scratches?

1945microsobv.jpg

6. Omegaraptor

They are not scratches. Thank you for reminding me.

Islander80-83 likes this.
  7. Islander80-83

Thanks!

I'm thinking acetone might/would clean up this coin really nicely, including the verdigris.

8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I think it's a strong AU coin. However I would not send in for grading if this were my coin. The middle band keeps it from being a full split band. Not ever TPG will grade that variety. It's very nice but I doubt you will ever get your money back out of it if graded.

9. Islander80-83

At most this coin in AU, $20-$30.

10. Omegaraptor

If this is an AU, it's the nicest AU I've ever seen.

11. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I believe it is a nice strike, but what you're seeing is old toning someone has tried to strip away....and to be honest this was probably terminal and they dipped it...but not long enought....probably thought longer would destroy the luster.
    Now for the love of god...please leave coins as such ....dark coins alone...nothing wrong with dark coins....what is wrong is trying to remover terminal toning from deep devices....a dead give away of a messed with coin.....know your limitations!:stop:

12. Omegaraptor

Interesting... the toning surrounding the winged Liberty head is blue, not black like terminal toning usually is. Can dipping a coin turn black toning into blue toning?

Also, have you heard the story about the dipped 1901-S quarter that went from MS66 to being the top pop at MS68?

13. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Does it have some ghosting on the reverse?

14. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

Here is a comparative coin, except I've sold coins like yours as being Very Fine, maybe EF condition: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1945-S-Mer...399942&hash=item56c6177d11:g:RZoAAOSw4GJc~Ar3

I suggest you view some coins in auction before seriously considering submitting your coin.

JMHO

Paddy54 likes this.
  15. Islander80-83

The OP's coin is much more of a FSB then the 65 @imrich posted.

16. Omegaraptor

Yeah imrich’s coin is the opposite of FSB.

17. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

Nice find. IMO, judging by the photos, AU 58. Would the reverse rim over the last A in AMERICA, and the Star after it, be considered as damage? Or possibly hold it back from getting a higher grade?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    Paddy54 likes this.
  18. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

The post is titled:
    1945 Micro S Mercury Dime - Thoughts on Grade?

If the OP would have asked for "Thoughts on FB/Grade?", I'd have posted one of my coins, a MS65 reverse, as attached. 1945 micro s FB coins are relatively scarce, but really don't command a significant premium until ~MS63, which the posted coin isn't. The coin attached is a ~$600 coin, seldom seen on eBay.

The 1945S dime was unique as there were 3 different size s struck, and seldom full bands with the "mint state" small s coins. A MS66 condition coin commanding a 4 figure sum, and a MS68 commanding a significant 5 figure amount.

JMHO

Attached Files:

19. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Again you asked for the concentious of the members here.....if you cannot stand the heat get the hell out of the kitchen!
    You have a good eye on finding varieties true dat.....but 99 % of the time you buy damaged coins or coins with issues! Then you ask the members here what they think.....well that's an open door....to hear it all.
    Then to try are turn around the words what a member has posted is just wrong.
    Does not matter if the tone is blue black or what ever color! What matters is it was completely toned then someone dipped it and made a hellava mess out of a coin that would of been just fine if they had not dipped it.
    You may be smart for your age....but street smart and book smart are two different things! And knowing your limitations is something one learns only one way....the school of hard knocks!
    You been lucky so far cherry picking.....but again you buy 9 times out of 10 problem coins . If that's what floats your boat so be it..... but there's an old saying you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear.....learn to respect the views of others ,even thought they maybe be something you wish not hear.
    Lastly you want to run with the big dogs then learn the packs rules....if not they will show you your place...... now you been schooled lets see what you have learned!

micbraun, Islander80-83 and imrich like this.
  20. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I'll go with AU. I would not do anything to the coin. I think a dip would kill any luster the coin has left. An acetone bath might lift a little something from the coin but I don't feel it will help it's looks.

21. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Looks like indirect image transfer in that area.

Draft saved Draft deleted