1945 half dollar

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Darren Edwards, Jul 16, 2021.

1. Darren Edwards

Darren Edwards Well-Known Member

capthank likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

Nice find!
    Doesn't look slab-worthy but still a sweet score.
    It seems cleaned or something to me, but I think the camera is focused on the box behind rather than the coin so I can't really see too closely. It is a 'details' coin and not worth a submission.

Stevearino and Darren Edwards like this.
  4. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

I agree , Nice find !! Not worth grading as the fee's will drown you .

Stevearino and Darren Edwards like this.
  5. Evan Saltis

Generally a submission for just one or two coins is too costly and not really worth it. If you had a lot of coins to send in, that's one thing.

Darren Edwards likes this.
  6. Darren Edwards

Thanks for the replies, I thought as much but wanted to be sure as it’s probably my favorite find so far but will just have to take pride of place in my book and hopefully I will find something worthy of a slab in the future as I’m currently hunting through around $200 a day of coins in my spare time lol

capthank and Evan Saltis like this.
  7. Darren Edwards

I do have around 50 coins I’ve found overall now but I’m pretty sure they are just coins I like rather than coins being worth anything or worth grading so I’m trying to hold out until I find something valuable, do you guys generally use PCGS or can I just use ANACS? I’m planning on keeping all my finds so using the cheaper option seems to be the more sensible route to me

8. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

If you want cheaper then go with ANACS . Most of mine are ANACS and I'm quite satisfied .
    Screenshot_2021-03-04 free emoji clipart thumbs up at DuckDuckGo.png

9. Evan Saltis

ANACS is nice. Lots of details coins end up there, and it's quality stuff. Just not as big name as the others.

I buy PCGS coins primarily. However ANACS is great too, especially if you would like to keep them forever.

Darren Edwards and SensibleSal66 like this.
  10. Chip Kirkpatrick

Chip Kirkpatrick Well-Known Member

Nice find. My oldest CRH find was a 1907 Barber half which was a nice surprise. But nothing for a long time.

11. Darren Edwards

I’m hoping to find a Barber one day, I found a Mercury this week and a 1924 Buffalo which I was happy with. I’m guessing it’s getting harder and harder to find these types of coins hunting rolls from the bank? This new coin shortage also isn’t helping so I’m having to improvise by offering to cash out some of my local stores which I’m starting today so I’m keeping my fingers crossed I can find some interesting coins over the coming week

12. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

A great find for CRH but not worth of grading cost. The fees will eat you alive and you’d never be able to recover them.

13. Darren Edwards

Fair point, I’m broke enough as it is lol. let’s hope i find something slab worthy in the near future :)

Collecting Nut likes this.
  14. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

No hope about it, you will find one more than worthy to slab, good luck.

15. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Be patient. Sooner or later l, probably later, you’ll find something but slabbing is not always the best case. I have a number of slab worthy coins but I’d rather twerp them protected myself and spend the money on another coin. One day I might stop buying, then I’ll slab them.

16. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I think the rule-of-thumb that I have seen puts the value of a coin to be graded at about $150-$200 to be worthwhile (increase the value). For a coin roll hunting find, this would probably decrease to $100 or so, since your acquisition cost is negligible.

17. Darren Edwards

That sounds like a smart way to do it, so far I don’t think any of the coins I’ve found have a value anywhere near those figures just yet, although I could be wrong as I’m new to the hunt lol. I have a coin shop that’s local to me so I might stop by there one day to let them take a look over what I’ve found and see what they say ( rather than posting loads of coins that may not haven value on here taking up many threads ) I’m currently going through 400 quarters I got from my local shop that they didn’t want to roll so I’m keeping my fingers crossed I find something interesting

Kentucky likes this.
  18. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Nice find. Good luck.

19. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

What's the designers signature, look like on the reverse ?
    If missing, it has a FS number ......

20. Darren Edwards

I will have to take a look, where would it be on there? Many thanks in advance

21. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

By the eagles right foot

Draft saved Draft deleted