1945-D Mercury Dime MS-68? Determining Stated Value on PCGS Submission

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Pawstruck, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Pawstruck

Pawstruck CoinTalk Survivor

Hello Everyone,

I am submitting a coin to PCGS for the first time and trying to estimate the value. I've read that PCGS likes you to be close to the actual value in your estimate. But this is a tricky thing to do so I thought I would ask for opinions. Here are the details on my coin:

1. 1945-D Mercury Dime Full Bands (Rounded). The coin is inside a sealed 2.5 in. plastic holder--any scratches in photo are on the plastic
    2. No toning or scratches visible to the naked eye
    3. May be a D/Horizontal D FS-506 (FS-010.95)
    4. According to what I see in Photograde, it may be an MS-68
    5. But...I could be totally wrong and it could be an MS-67
    6. So, it seems like the value could be between about $150 - $8500
    7. Based on this, what amount should I put down for "Estimated value"?

Thanks for the advice!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I would put $150 on the form. If they feel it's an MS-68, they may ask for a higher grading fee.

4. Pawstruck

Okay--thanks for the reply!

5. It looks there is a contact mark on the base of the neck that would probably take it out of ms68. The spot shows as having a shadow, not something you would not see with scratched holders. $150 would probably be a a reasonable estimate based on that; if they give you a 68, that coin must be truly impressive in hand.

6. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

MS68 in most anything old seems to be a rare event. But if you submit it, the best to you!

7. toned_morgan

toned_morgan Toning Lover

Use the link below instead of Photograde because it gives you more coins to compare to. No two coins are ever the same, so you might think it is MS68, but it might be MS67 or maybe MS69... the main factor in the higher MS grades (66-69) is the luster and "WOW" factor? If this coin nearly blinds you when you look at it, it's a higer grade... if the coin has more of a "meh" factor, it's probably MS63-65. Alsogo to YouTube and compare other people's MS68 mercury dimes to yours and do the same motion they do (rotate it the same way), and if it looks like their coin, it probably has a similar grade to theirs. To answer your question, I would put $250 so that it kinda takes care of the MS67-68 value.

http://www.pcgscoinfacts.com/CoinImages.aspx?s=5058

8. Pawstruck

Thanks for the info. :) I've checked Photograde and this coin doesn't look like any MS-68 example there. It's more like a blast white with no toning visible. No marks in the fields. So that's why I was trying to decide what to declare for estimated value when I send it in.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  9. Pawstruck

Yes, I agree, Santinidollar. I'm not a grader so would never call a coin an MS-68. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted