1945 cent

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Cazador, Jul 19, 2021.

1. love old coins

love old coins Well-Known Member

It is quite lovely but since I'm basically a newbie in collecting, I have a question...how can you tell if it has or hasn't been cleaned, because it's awfully shiny?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cazador

Cazador Supporter! Supporter

Etching, or abrasion Would be the first sign of cleaning.Hope that helps

love old coins likes this.
  4. love old coins

Thank you @Cazador but I think more elaboration is needed for me...if the coin was brand new - or supposed to be - and I saw those things on it, I would know but how do you tell when it's an old circulated coin, other than it being "bright and shiny"?

5. Cazador

Cazador Supporter! Supporter

To be honest with you I’m not that knowledgeable on coins that have been cleaned.so let’s see what others might say.

love old coins likes this.
  6. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Coins pick up luster when they're minted. Study up on it, because it's the first thing that goes when the coins are cleaned. I'd just be wasting our time trying to describe it to you. Study up on what it is, what it looks like, and what it doesn't, indicating it was rubbed off, i.e., "cleaned." Luster isn't "bright and shiny." Polishing can get you "bright and shiny." You tell the presence of luster by the unique way the light reacts with the surface. If you get mixed up, that's what we're here for. Just think of us as unmixer-uppers.

7. love old coins

I'll do that and thank you. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted