1945 and 1938 pennys found today

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Ridgerunnerras, Jan 14, 2021.

1. charley

charley Well-Known Member

that is very kind of you, and humbling.
    don't be sorry, at all. i celebrate her life as a testament to the american spirit. her husband died during the war. she had 4 children.
    he was cherokee. she lived out her life at cherokee,nc.
    he is buried @ arlington. that was the reason (i think) that she collected the 1945 cents.
    we delivered them. the auxiliary was the recipient. they use donations for flowers, flags, etc.
    my oldest 2 brothers insisted one mason jar be placed on her 1st husband's grave.
    then it was decided another jar be placed on the grave of her second husband. he is interred on patton hill. it is sort of funny, because he was a military lifer, and many many years later when he died, she said, no more. it was hard enough getting rid of those 2.

anyway, i am hijacking the thread, and that was not my purpose.

but, like any collector, my evil side always wanted to open the jars and look through them....even up to the time they were delivered to arlington. i still now and then regret not doing so. this is just another reason she can still complain about me.

johnyb, Marshall and LaCointessa like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

Don't worry about hijacking a thread with such a wonderful story. Sounds like a good plot for a Lifetime movie!

Marshall and LaCointessa like this.
  4. erscolo

erscolo Well-Known Member

Actually anytime that a coin is found in circulation that is older than I am it is something special. The coin is really, really old.

Lueds and LaCointessa like this.
  5. dint know what i have, most of them VF to AU. Just thought they were bad coins.

6. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

Welcome to CoinTalk!

I am not sure I understand. You say you are not sure what you have but you know you have mostly VF and AU coins? What is it that you do not know? Whether any of them show evidence of mint error or other anomaly?

What types of coins do you have? If you have one that is particularly drawing your interest you can post a photo of it in a new thread of your own and maybe one of our members can help tell you what you have.

7. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

This reminds me of the types of coins I could still find in circulation when I first began collecting in the mid 60s.

Coin collecting was really big in the 50s and 60s when you could find these in change and even silver was not unusual. My dad started collecting then and so I started as well. The difference is he only collected circulating coins and I branched out into purchased coins when Christmas shopping at Foleys.

Anyway, when I see these in circulation now, I immediately think of two reasons they have returned to circulation. One, they are stolen and Two, they have been given to or inherited by children of collectors from a bygone era.

With the number of coin counters in use today, it is no longer as likely that even those who might formerly have pulled out an odd looking or older looking coin will do so now.

LaCointessa likes this.
  8. most of them 1cent. I cant think were they are but i will try to find them. I will have to go thru hundreds of tubes.

LaCointessa likes this.
  9. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Lot of great answers. I see what appears to be a small cud on the reverse of the '35. Other than that, all I see is deterioration and PMD. Thanks for the posts, good luck.

10. LaCointessa

Goodness...don't do all of that unless you will enjoy it!

11. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

'35? I guess I missed something. I only saw a 1945 and 1938 cent. Typo?
    As for them being in circulation, I think a lot, like a boat load, of older coins were released in the Great American Coin Hunt of 2019 (https://coinweek.com/us-coins/the-great-american-coin-hunt-has-arrived/) or even the one this past year.

LaCointessa likes this.
  12. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

Sadly I think a lot of people from that era are passing away, and their relatives dump the old change jars into circulation. In my youth I filled a few large containers with cents myself that still sit around my house from (god) 50 years ago. They'll go back into circulation too, after a long rest. @charley that's a great story!

13. LaCointessa

Yes, a typo and I also made a typo --- well, an error -- when I indicated the wrong coin date while pointing out a possible cud I thought I noticed a coin - I really meant to point to the reverse of the 1945 coin. Another reason to post one coin per coin question, I guess. :-D

14. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Draft saved Draft deleted