1944D Penny MS 68RD?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by jmccarty, Jul 2, 2015.

1. jmccarty

jmccarty Active Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

If I recall correctly, ICG has never been better than a 4th or 5th place grading service.

Chris

4. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

ICG grades are not well-known for being correctly grading color and strike. Even though US Secret service is using them to check out Counterfeit coins.
    MS 68 RD would be changed at Pcgs to maybe MS 66+ or 67 ?

5. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

PCGS grades, they don't "rate." I know, I know, I know you meant that. But keep the terms right. It helps you communicate clearer.

To the coin. What's that green on the tie, jaw, and under the nose? Is it the lighting, or issues?

On the TPGs. Their grades (rates, lol) are for their plastic, not the coins. That said, PCGS plastic is pricey, so this may not get a 68 in that plastic.

6. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

PS: These are market grades, after all, not technical grades. They're market grades for their market for their plastic.

7. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I don't have a ton of respect for ICG, but the coin is very nice, perhaps a 67 in a real holder. The rim on the left side of the obverse looks very strange though. I'd like to know what's going on there.

8. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

they are okay

9. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

Is ICG more reliable with circulated grades than with the tippy top mint state grades?

10. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

I like ICG grading on Lincolns. However, when you get the 67 and up level, PCGS and NGC are much tougher.....they like to keep those pops low to inflate prices.

11. mac266

mac266 Well-Known Member

They're considered ok, but not as good as NGC or PCGS. ANACS may be tied with ICG or slightly better. In any event, remember the coin collector's motto: "Buy the coin, not the slab!"

Btw, as a side note, most collectors and dealers refer to "cents," not "pennies." Some get a little snobby about it, believing you must not know what you're doing if you say "pennies." I think it's ridiculous snobbery, but I say "cents" just to avoid being taken advantage of.

NSP likes this.
  12. Sullysullinburg

Sullysullinburg Well-Known Member

As a rule of thumb from Don Bonzer " ICG stand for I Can't Grade" ;)

13. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

ICG gave this one a clean grade. You be the judge. 1804 half cent.jpg

14. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Far from an expert on these, but something looks wonky to me........

Seattlite86 likes this.
  15. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I think I paid $40 for it. I'm not disappointed.

16. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Maybe I'm wonky.

PS: Don't tell Frank. He'll have a field day at my expense.......:)

Seattlite86 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted