1944D OMM D over S

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Robin Gray, Feb 16, 2019.

1. That Awesome find first all good morning and If possible i could ask ur opinion sometime on some of things i have collected over 2 yrs if you have time .

Robin Gray likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

You can get your questions answered by starting your own thread.
    Here is a thread that will help you.
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/how-to-post-and-add-photos.309963/

thomas mozzillo and Robin Gray like this.
  4. Robin Gray

Robin Gray Active Member

Yes, start thread with pics and we can all help. I've only been doing this for 6 months. As a retirement hobby.

Stevearino likes this.
  5. Robin Gray

Robin Gray Active Member

The real pros on this website will help you more than I can.

6. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Interested. Please try again

Robin Gray likes this.
  7. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

@Robin Gray

Robin Gray likes this.
  8. coin roll

coin roll Active Member

When I retired my wife and I bought a business. Instead of being retired I am now retreaded. I don't even get coffee breaks now.

Robin Gray and Stevearino like this.
  9. Robin Gray

Robin Gray Active Member

Well, I tried all that, but then my physical and mental health were going, so now I check pennies and lose weight, so its all good, lol.
    I'm trying to get a better shot of this dang coin, which I'm tired of seeing at this point. If I can catch it close up, I'll send more pics. I've been playing on computer with ones I've taken, but if I enlarge too much, you can't see it.

10. harley bissell

harley bissell Well-Known Member

Don't beat yourself up. Some of the biggest names in errors promoted and sold hundreds of 1956- S/D cents before they mutually decided that it was not a real OMM.

Robin Gray likes this.
  11. Robin Gray

Robin Gray Active Member

Ha, interesting. Thanks, I won't give up, and I will keep looking. Well, the coin is in bad shape anyhow. I tried playing around with the pics on my laptop using the Photoshop thing. The best I could come up with was a "positive/negative" effect which outlines the S. I'll try to get that down pat and send it.

12. enamel7

enamel7 Junior Member

A soak in acetone would help remove the buildup around the mint mark. Pics won't matter until it's removed.

Robin Gray likes this.
  13. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

You adult kids will be biased towards supporting your theory. And if they have less experience in coins than you do they'll be even more biased. It's like looking at clouds and seeing shapes of faces and stuff and asking someone if they see the same thing, then repointing to various parts of it to reinforce what you see until they relent and agree ...

To clarify, Mint Marks are "restamped" on to the Dies, not the individual coins.

Robin Gray likes this.
  14. justafarmer

justafarmer Senior Member

The coin certainly is a mess - OMM-002 is a possibility
    1944 DS map 20190218.JPG 1944 DS overlay 20190218.JPG

15. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Think of it as like instant replay in the NFL...It has to be clear and convincing evidence to overturn the default situation because they are so rare as compared to the baseline D...430,578,000 cents minted that year in Denver. Good luck getting it cleaned up a bit. As stated above use acetone or distilled water and don't scrub or rub on the coin.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    Robin Gray likes this.
  16. Robin Gray

Robin Gray Active Member

My goodness, this a lot in which to respond. Firstly, my son is sitting here, and he says he could care less about pennies, and he is annoyed that he has to lug them around for me all the time.
    Secondly, the coin has been rinsed with warm distilled water, but I'm still leery about acetone on copper.
    Thirdly, football is my passion, and I say my Steelers were robbed by that bad call in the end zone 2 years ago.
    Lastly, the picture with the outline sent by Just a Farmer is exactly what I'm seeing on my coin! How on earth did you do that? It makes me think I have something.

17. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Soak it in distilled water for a few days to loosen the debris.
    Roll a q-tip over the surfaces. Don't rub.

Acetone removes only organic contaminants. It will not harm your coin.
    Same procedure with the acetone, it may take repeated try's but roll the qtip to remove what has been loosened on the surface.
    Make sure you do this outside or in a well ventilated area. You will want a lid as the acetone will evaporate quick if there is a lot of wind.
    Thanks @justafarmer for the overlay.

Robin Gray likes this.
  18. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

The thing with acetone on old brown copper is that if the contamination has been on the coin a lonnnnggg time when the acetone removes it it can reveal a different patina below the area and you might be left with a slightly different tone than the rest of the coin and sometimes can take on a pinkish hue....

Robin Gray likes this.
  19. Robin Gray

Robin Gray Active Member

Yes, exactly my fear. Well I wouldn't want to use it on this coin, just in case. But, I have actually bought the acetone and will try it on some of my coins that don't matter. But it sure would be nice to get some the dirt off the 1944 one!

20. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Definately thanks to Just a Farmer! My 1944 D is NOT a D/S! If you hold on his overlay image you can save it to a file. Then using a basic photo app overlay that image onto your coins image and match up the dates on the coin and overlay. A little tough on a smartphone but good enough to know mine is not a match.
    :bigtears:
    PhotoEditor_20190218_101319127.jpg

Robin Gray likes this.
  21. justafarmer

justafarmer Senior Member

Was this a difficult process for you?

Draft saved Draft deleted