1944 Wheat Penny with horned wheats?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by RabbiSchmooley, Jan 10, 2021.

1. RabbiSchmooley

RabbiSchmooley Active Member

Alright guys, I've been puzzling over this for almost 2 hours. Google and my other resources have failed to yield any results, and I'm not sure what to make of it. Maybe a die clash on the tops of the wheat ears? Under the loop it presents itself as a smooth slightly raised surface in the shape of the wheat ears but without detail. I don't know very much about die clashes since I just started trying to wrap my head around them. Does anybody know what this is? Pictures were taken from 2 slightly different angles to show what I'm looking at.
    20210110_233514.jpg 20210110_233528.jpg 20210110_233734.jpg 20210110_233747.jpg 20210110_233838.jpg 20210110_233918.jpg

Stevearino likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Looks more like a die crack, See how it comes off the rim . Minor NAV . Thanks for sharing.

4. RabbiSchmooley

I would never have pegged that for a die crack, especially since it's uniform on both sides. Thanks for the information!

5. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

I am not sure it is a die crack. Looks like a worn reverse die and a lot of post mint damage. My 44 was struck with a worn obverse die, I think, as you can see the letters starting to merge with the rim. Polish_20210110_094304955.jpg

goossen likes this.
  6. RabbiSchmooley

I don't see that happening with the wheat leaves though, especially with the one on the left side. You can see it comes up from the outer edge of the wheat leaf, to a point in the shape of the leaf, and then back down to meet on the right side of the leaf. Idk shat to make of it though so I'm at the mercy of the public opinion lol tbh it's probably just my untrained eyes betraying me like usual

7. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

They appear to be bulges due to a deteriorating die.

eddiespin, Spark1951 and goossen like this.
  8. SensibleSal66

Die crack Die crack :beaver:

9. Lueds

Lueds Well-Known Member

Looking at the attached overlay the marks you see don't match for a die clash.

Die deterioration certainly could fit, or potentially a die crack. Would be easier to tell in hand. (Edit: The more I look at it, I'd agree Die Crack)

Attached Files:

RabbiSchmooley likes this.
  10. SensibleSal66

How about Die deterioration crack combo , limited time only ? ;)

RabbiSchmooley and Lueds like this.
  11. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    Stevearino and Robert Ransom like this.
  12. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

You are overthinking this. Die deterioration and wear plus some angled hits.

eddiespin likes this.
  13. Robert Ransom

It seems that new terminology is being invented for an anomaly that doesn't fit the current coin lexicon. We already have toooooo many variations and adding new definitive's will only increase the difficult task of classifying errors.
    Enough is enough! Cease and desist! Stop the presses! :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

eddiespin likes this.
  14. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Who do you think is doing such a thing.

Robert Ransom likes this.
  15. Robert Ransom

The propagators: Wexler, Variety Vista, NGC, ad nauseum.

eddiespin likes this.
  16. RabbiSchmooley

Too much is never enough! I'll call this one the Horny Wheat.

yakpoo, John Skelton and Stevearino like this.
  17. goossen

goossen Senior Member

+1

18. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Take a look at the ear on the obverse, wear and tear, in my opinion. Thanks for the post.

19. Robert Ransom

So, now you are wading onto the Numismatic Lexicon too.

20. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Who died and left you boss? Lol. :)

yakpoo and alurid like this.
  21. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Sometimes I think websites like these resemble insane asylums. Then again all you need to start an asylum is an empty room and the right kind of people.

yakpoo and RabbiSchmooley like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted