1944 Washington quarter Error

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by SILVEREAGLE4EVR, Jun 5, 2010.

1. Hi Everyone. Does anyone have any information on a strike error of a 1944 Washington quarter strike error? I believe I have come across one. I will post pics ASAP.

Thanks.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

plenty of errors out there from all dates, as soon as we have pics we can help

4. PICS of possible 1944 Washington Quarter

Here it is...the first two pics are scanned and the next two are from a digital 10 MEGAPIXEL camera just to give you a different view. This coin has a cool story. One of my Soldiers brought it to me because I just started collecting Silver Eagles...my Father just past away and he had a few so I made it my mission to finish and complete his set, including the 10th Anniversary Set, needless to say I have now been bitten by the coin bug and can not get enough. This coin has been given to him by his Grandfather over 25 years ago and it has been in a plastic sleeve ever since. I took it to two coin experts and they are perplexed and say my Soldier may have something. They do not believe it to be acid washed and want me to seek further information and opinions on it. So I joined this blog and seek all of your expertise. I have found little to no information on it except this link http://www.usrarecoininvestments.com/coin_archive/1944-quarter-ngc-ms62-36001_1249_d.htm. Please advise...and Thank you for your time.

Attached Files:

5. dayriser

dayriser accumulator

Well, it looks cleaned, and pretty worn. I don't believe it is a wrong planchet, rim and reeds look normal but worn. The surface has an effect that I have found on three wheat pennies now though, and I always get 'acid etched' as the answer... The consensus on these forums has largely been post mint damage and as such, no premium on the value... In any case, there is no known way to create that effect AT the mint that I have heard of anyway, so it would be hard to call it anything BUT PMD, whatever the cause.

IMO

ldhair likes this.
  6. ML94539

ML94539 Senior Member

If you suspect it's nickel planchet, then you should weigh it, if it's same weight as a war nickel, that should be confirmation of error. Or you can send it to NGC or PCGS, they will authenticate for you.

7. Hmmm...does PMD Post Mint Damage? And how much should a 1944 Washington Quarter weigh and how much does a war nickel weigh? Thanks.

8. Plus...what causes PMD then...I am truly a novice and just learning. i can not believe how much research is involved. I love it!!!

9. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

Post mint damage is anything that affects the coin once the mint process ends.

10. I see. This is all very great helpful info. Thank you.

11. I had the coin weighed at the local coin shop. It weighs 5.1 G.

12. Numismatist47

Numismatist47 New Member

There is a known error for a 44 Washington being struck on a war nickel planchet slabbed by NGC. But I don't think you have that.

[​IMG]

13. After much research I am believing you are correct. What do you think made this coins "wrinkle" look or affect?

14. ikandiggit

It does appear the have been affected by acid. The only thing I have is a cent with a similar effect:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Thank you for your knowledge and experience. Thoughts of the value? I would not think much...

16. ikandiggit

For acid damage? Just face value.

17. Thanks again ikandiggit!

18. jessicacyrette

jessicacyrette New Member

How do you know whether it is or is not.. pics would be nice or detailed description of what to look for..

19. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Welcome to CoinTalk! Well, the post you replied to did have an image link. But keep in mind that the message is about five years old. Apparently that link is "dead" now ...

Christian

20. LeeTrevino

LeeTrevino New Member

I have a 1944 s on the back I know it means grade what is it worth I also know it's silver and it has a different weight on there and colourizationn don't know what the wait is i haven' t had it weighed yet I believe it's supposed to weigh 5.1 grams

lawkeishatidwell likes this.
  21. lawkeishatidwell

lawkeishatidwell New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted