1944 Walking Liberty D Half Dollar

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Eric the Red, Mar 14, 2021.

1. Eric the Red

Eric the Red Well-Known Member

Greetings CT members. I wanted to get an opinion on these 1944 D Walking Liberties and what MS you think they would grade at? It's one of my favorite designs. I have a bunch of them and am trying to decide whether or not, it is a good idea to have a couple slabbed at PCGS. The lot is in BU condition and I took a few photos of random coins. I am guessing MS 64 but wanted some opinions. Would any of you slab a couple in this condition and is it really even worth it for this year and mint ? Thank you all and have a great weekend.

PS: Novice collector so don't flame me if my grading assessment is off :) 20210313_232347.jpg 20210313_232310.jpg 20210313_232115.jpg 20210313_231942.jpg 20210314_001305.jpg

RonSanderson and Penny Luster like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Oh Wow , I beg to differ man . :cool: The Reverse is much better than the Obverse which has tiny marks along her legs and in the field . I'm guessing between MS60 to MS62 .

Eric the Red likes this.
  4. Eric the Red

Thank you.

5. Eric the Red

I just grabbed those 2 random coins out of the roll to get an assessment on the lot. I am sure there are better picks to choose from in the roll. Thank you.

6. Penny Luster

Penny Luster Well-Known Member

7. Eric the Red

Thank you Penny Luster.

8. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

IMO, you have some extremely well struck coins and seeing them stacked makes me nervous. I'm thinking MS64 minimum for the two coins shown. Your photos show too much brown tint. Ease up on the coloration. How about a couple more photos?

Eric the Red likes this.
  9. Eric the Red

Hello Robert. I grabbed another random Walker out of the roll to add some more photos. These multiple photos are of same coin in different light. Every coin in the roll is struck with equal beauty. 20210314_153021.jpg 20210314_153035.jpg

RonSanderson likes this.
  10. Eric the Red

11. Eric the Red

20210314_153311.jpg 20210314_153311.jpg 20210314_153311.jpg

Attached Files:

12. Eric the Red

13. Eric the Red

Attached Files:

14. Eric the Red

15. Eric the Red

I think I may have found something in this roll of walkers.

16. Eric the Red

The hand chiseled artist mark. I will post some photos

17. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

That's a nice roll of Walking Liberty Halves. You should keep them safe.

Eric the Red likes this.
  18. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

That one looks heavily plated with something, Eric, I'm sorry to tell you. That's why the flat look. Can you manage some pictures in more natural light? The cartwheeling in a coin of that condition should be driving you dizzy and I'm not seeing any in any of those scores of pictures, indicating the luster was overlaid with something or other. When they're glossy and flat like that that's the telltale sign the luster or "life" was taken off them.

Eric the Red likes this.
  19. Eric the Red

Bought the roll from Jmbullion last year BU

20. Eric the Red

Allright here are the first 8 random coins off the top off the stack. Each photo is of a different coin. What we are looking for in these are the artist initials. The hand chiseled artist mark is a known error for this year coin. These artist marks don't look normal. What do you think? Are any of these possible errors?
    In regards to Artist Initials 20210316_202001.jpg

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  21. Eric the Red

Draft saved Draft deleted