1944 steel penny

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by jrballard72, Apr 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

I doubt there would be a tampered date, but rather a counterfeit of the entire coin. I don't know about this particular one, but most US rarities and keys are legally manufactured by a mint in China. Although copies of some are marked, others are not and some are mounted in fake PCGS slabs.

Just sayin'

gary

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. IQless1

IQless1 What became of subtlety**

Yeah, sorry ...was getting tired. I wanted to add: I see where you are on this and understand why you're doing it. There's always a chance, and it appears that you can afford to take that risk. Good luck!

4. jrballard72

jrballard72 New Member

OK, atleat the seller ships quickly because I got the coins when I was home to let my dogs out this afternoon.

...The stupid risk taker realized the coins were fake when.....
    A.) Closely examined the date area and is almost certain it has been altered
    B.) Steel Clad caused the weight to be a significant amount different than it was supposed to
    C.) Very weak-no magnetic attraction
    D.) Opened the package and saw 2 normal 1944 wheat pennies that didn't look like steel, aren't attracted to any magnet, and are worth about 20 cents.

For all those still wondering, it was D, and I only payed 500,000% more than the 20 cents that they are worth. Not a bad mark up from the seller

As mentioned multiple times earlier, Ebay is looking out for the buyers (and who is in the right) and there is no problem getting refunded. Anyways, glad some people found this an interesting topic (even all the haters)

5. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Thanks for letting us know. Hope all goes well.

jim

6. I_Love_Silver

I_Love_Silver I love U.S. coinage

I gotta see a picture of em'...please?

7. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

Thanks for taking the chance and exposing another fake.

8. jrballard72

jrballard72 New Member

9. jrballard72

jrballard72 New Member

10. jrballard72

jrballard72 New Member

not the best quality pics. I didn't play around with the settings too much because it wasn't that important to prove they aren't steel.

11. dctjr80

dctjr80 Senior Member

Yes, I agree, now since you have more money than you seem to know what to do with, why not start buying up all the rare U.S. coins being sold by sellers in china for just 10 and 20 cents.... hey, you never know 1 may be really worth $50,000 or more and think about it, you could get 100's of them to inspect for a mere $1000.00 investment.. ;) This thread was lame and nothing more than a waste of time for everyone, obviously the OP has too much TIME and MONEY. LOL

12. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

Do I smell a 'TROLL'?

13. Irish2Ice

Irish2Ice Member

Yes, faint smell of Troll I do smell.

14. tonedcoins

tonedcoins New Member

15. Coinguy56

Coinguy56 Member

As I said before, it's one thing if it was a coin like an 09-S VDB or a 14-D cent, but 1944 steel cents? You're talking TWO coins that, if legit, can fetch hundreds of thousands of dollars, regardless of the condition. But that is a very valuable lesson learned.

16. jrballard72

jrballard72 New Member

There was no lesson learned coinguy but thanks for your feelings on this subject. No real risk, no loss, no lesson learned.

17. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Ok Gentlemen, I think the OP has received the info he wanted and was good enough to pass us the results, so I am closing the thread as nothing more of importance will come about.

jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.