1944 Steel Penny overdate 1943

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by logos, Nov 22, 2019.

1. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

Guaranteed this never happened. When errors are discovered they are destroyed, plain and simple.

paddyman98 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. justafarmer

justafarmer Senior Member

So the mint discovered an error in a 1944 cent and scratched it out. Then contacted Sherman and Mr. Peabody and hitched a ride in the wayback machine to 1943 just to re-strike the coin. Makes perfect sense to me.

4. enamel7

enamel7 Junior Member

Not even close to how the minting process works.

5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Interesting thread.. All I wanted to say to Kentucky was that there were a very few 1944 Cents struck on left over steel planchets. But this has nothing to do with the coin in question.

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  6. paddyman98

2 or 3 for $1.00 at the flea market foreign coin bin.

MatrixMP-9 likes this.
  7. paddyman98

That was the exception.. Not even created at a Sophisticated US Mint.

MatrixMP-9 likes this.
  8. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I think there are 39 1944 steelies. That's what USA Coin Book lists. (Not an infallible source.) 30 Phillies, 7 Denvers and 2 SF.
    Again I am unaware of an overdate, but since the OP coin has 43 on the front and
    not 44, the 1944 steelie is not part of the equation.
    I suppose it is possible a 1944 could be an overdate of a 1943 (although I've never read about such a variety) and then, the 1944 would be on top.
    If the OPs coin was an overdate it could only be over 1942, which again I am
    not aware of. I AM SO UNINFORMED.

9. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

Sorry, not wasting any more of my time.

MatrixMP-9 likes this.
  10. Nyatii

Nyatii I like running w/scissors. Makes me feel dangerous

This thread is all over the place.

11. logos

logos Member

Ok.... First and foremost I respect all of you in here but your closed mindedness can not understand that this coin is a STEELIE which means the date can not be any other DATE then 1943. Why the HELL would the US Mint overdate 1942 or 1944 on an only one dated STEELIE 1943.

12. MatrixMP-9

MatrixMP-9 Well-Known Member

Logos....you are saying these guys are "close minded"? Seriously? Michael K, Paddy, Mountain and the rest? These guys volunteer their time and know this hobby. You havent been around here long enough to understand them and the last thing they are is close minded. You are the one not listening to facts. Dont say you "respect them" because you clearly dont by not listening and throwing insults.

Theyve tried to help you and now you are insulting them. OK, fine, you are right now run along with your coin and go list it on Etsy. There are plenty of coin sites out there that will TELL YOU WHAT YOU INSIST ON HEARING. This thread has become an epic stupid thread.

tommyc03 likes this.
  13. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

What they are saying is that an overdate would be over an earlier date, not a later one.

14. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Do not ignore your own closed mindness. Yes, it is a 1943 steelie. There is no overdate. The image of a coin is magnified so large you get straight lines from the software's pixelation. As someone said, the '4' image you see is half the size of the normal 4 and the digits of the date are not added one by one, it would require a different die and then we would see doubled every thing.

The foreign coin you refer to, the date was added with a separate device as the very early US coins were, but not in modern times including the 1943 era. So the very obvious conclusion is that the US Mint didn't add it. It is PMD, which is all we can see from the photos. You are basing your explanation starting with believing it is true and then trying to find reasons why, which you can not because there isn't any reason. IMO, Jim

paddyman98 likes this.
  15. logos

logos Member

It commoncents that there were not 1942 Steel pennies minted due to that the only way a 1944 steel would be right is by jumping on the wayback machine and dating it 1943 for its the only year the Steel was minted. and for respect I respect all of you and my compassion for this coin shows because I believe in the coin and what I see right here in my hand. Im a true believer and your opinions are great knowledge to me but coin says the reality of what the mint has done. Im sorry but this coin was only minted for 1 year and that year is the only year that can be struck on it even if it was minted before or after that date.

16. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Good thing no one has validated his theory. That's all it takes and then he can copy and paste it into a listing and make us all look like fools. You were very nice about it Jim but this thread should have been done long ago as it's now spiraling downwards. @logos like I said before, you are convinced, so send it to a TPG and when you get the results back, if you respect us, and let us know how it worked out for you. Then you can say "I told you so".

paddyman98 likes this.
  17. logos

logos Member

Ok thanks. I am in the process of finding a location now and yes I will sure tell you guys what happened bad or good.

Attached Files:

18. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

You don't have to use PCGS or NGC for this as they require memberships which adds to your cost. You can use ANACS which does not require a membership and they are more into varieties and errors. If you have a dealer nearby who uses the first two, you may be able to sidestep the membership by submitting through the dealer.

19. logos

logos Member

Wow. I did not know that. Thank you very much. I appreciate that.

tommyc03 likes this.
  20. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Don't waste your money.

tommyc03 likes this.
  21. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

You are not the first to feel as you do. If it is not what you think, you can come back and learn from the site members. Everyone can make mistakes, and maybe we will learn something also.
    Jim

Draft saved Draft deleted