1944 silver wheat penny

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by HumptyDumpty, Oct 31, 2009.

1. foundinrolls

foundinrolls Roll Searching Enthusiast

The scales were not accurate or the coin was worn before it was plated. There is no doubt by the images that the coin was plated.

Thanks,
    Bill

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. HumptyDumpty

HumptyDumpty Junior Member

4. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I think you need to find a different coin store. My guess at this point is that it is a coated (mercury or zinc probably not nickel) cast (steel or iron) fake. Your pictures are too small for me to get any revealing details and I doubt I could make any more sense out of them even if they were giant pictures. Whatever goes from here is going to have to be in hand, but there is nothing you have shown me or told me that gives me any idea that it is real.

5. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Have either of you tried to pick up a nickel with a magnet? - a refrigerator magnet at that. A nickel is 25% nickel, but no regular magnet will pick one up. Yes, if you get enough nickel, it can be somewhat magnetic, but that takes a fair amount of nickel or the right alloy.

6. DoK U Mint

DoK U Mint In Odd we Trust

I'm getting shivers.

I'm getting shivers over this one. I have a passion for '44's so to I have follow this thread through until the coin either condones or condemns itself.

7. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

My feeling too when I looked at the images. Something about them just didn't seem Kosher.....

8. HumptyDumpty

HumptyDumpty Junior Member

I will be taking it to different dealers during the week.

Thank you all for the input.

I'll keep you updated.

9. SkullReap99

SkullReap99 Coin Collector

The penny might be another substance that's highly magnetic and then its mercury plated.

10. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

Unless that's a really thick coin, I wouldn't think a plating would be enough for it to stick to a magnet. Especially one as week as you typically find on a refrigerator.

11. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

This coin is obviously plated. It is neither silver nor steel, it is brass (or tin, I forget) plated with some metal. There is NO question whatsoever and several experts have said so.

Over all this coin would be characterized as having Post Mint Damage and therefore is an alteration and not an error coin. It is worth less than an average problem-free 1944 coin.

12. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

Could you cite these experts?

13. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

But that % is through out the entire coin, whereas in plating the % in the plate could be significantly higher. True it is thinner, but, maybe enough to support the cent. Or if someone was experimenting, it might be a more exotic alloy.

Still think it is plated. :(

Jim

14. abe

abe LaminatedLincolnCollector

Maybe it is authentic. Maybe someone had a pile of steel cents that they were replating and never noticed the date. This is highly unlikely, but not impossible...

15. JBBERTHELOT

JBBERTHELOT New Member

I have a question I have a 1944 penny and it has a s under the year and doesn't stick to a magnet? Any information would be appreciated!! Thanks

16. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

Sounds like you have a normal 1944 cent minted in San Francisco. Value would only be a few cents unless in high grade.

17. Billyo

Billyo New Member

I have a 1944 penny that looks like steel all around but it doesn't get attracted by a magnet. What metal would look like Steel but not be steel? Is it copper coated with something else?

Attached Files:

18. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I think you have it right. It's coated with something.

19. Billyo

Billyo New Member

Thanks for that. Does that make the coin valuable or just another coin?

20. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

It's worth only a few cents but there are those that collect altered coins like this. You might find someone that will pay a few dollars for it. The problem is finding that person. I would just hang on to it. It's a fun coin.

21. Billyo

Billyo New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted