1944 silver-colored cent, not steel

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by DukeBedford, Aug 1, 2020.

1. DukeBedford

DukeBedford New Member

Has anyone seen anything like this? The photos don't do it justice - I couldn't hold my phone camera steady enough. It looks like an uncirculated 1944 copper cent, a strong strike, except it's silver in color, like a dime. The color in the obverse photo is accurate. The reverse is the same color. It is not attracted by a magnet. It weighs about 3g (my scale doesn't provide finer resolution). I found it in a box of old coins a friend game me. He has no idea what it is. IMG_0171.JPG IMG_0173.JPG IMG_0171.JPG IMG_0173.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

It has been plated. It is now damaged.

GH#75 likes this.
  4. GH#75

GH#75 Trying to get 8 hours of sleep in 4. . .

Fun fact: The 1944 steel cent is actually worth more than a 1943 copper penny.

goossen likes this.
  5. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Could you give us photos of the edge? Most likely a plated cent, as you can see copper showing on the nicks of the rim.
    Welcome to CT BTW and thanks for posting full image photos.

6. DukeBedford

DukeBedford New Member

I thought it might be silver-plated copper, but I've never seen one before and couldn't find any references to such a coin on-line. Do you suppose it might be worth something as a curiosity?

7. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Not at all, because it's easy enough to make more.

Back in the happy days when mercury was "interesting and fun" rather than "a deadly hazard", it was common to rub it onto the surface of a copper coin. It forms a silver-colored amalgam (alloy) with copper.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  8. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

So does that mean the three or four silver cent experiments that I keep in my junk box are sharing mercury with me when I handle my junk box coins?

9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Only if you ate a tuna fish sandwich first.

spirityoda and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Your cent is plated cud now it's damaged. Welcome to CT.

11. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Yeah. You'll live, though. It probably won't even ha mUccch effect on y r nerv s syst m...

Heavymetal, spirityoda, GH#75 and 2 others like this.
  12. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

LOL!!!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted