1944 S penny weighs 3.2 grams

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Sheila Ruley, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Sheila Ruley

Sheila Ruley The short blonde girl

20151229_141520.jpg 20151229_141750.jpg Should weigh 3.11 grams. Why is it so far off?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

That's not too far off. It's within mint specs +/- I believe.

4. ACoinJob

ACoinJob There are still some out there to be had.

I could only imagine (Nice to meet you by the way) the planchets had to be recalibrated for height after the wartime cents were introduced. Temperature, and material density and thickness all physics problems, may of played a factor in reintroducing these copper planchets with a certain amount of tolerance, back into production. I have no internal knowledge of what the mints were doing, when reintroducing a softer material than steel & zinc, back in their machines. I do however, have a 4.0 G.P.A. in Manufacturing Technologies, and in Statistical Process Control. Something the Mints would of implemented in control of production. Another observation could be your scales need recalibrated, if not perfectly alligned. My mini scales did manipulate from 2.67 grams of silver to 2.7 within tolerance.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
    Sheila Ruley likes this.
  5. Sheila Ruley

Ok, I was just wondering.thanks.

ACoinJob likes this.
  6. ACoinJob

You're welcome, and by the way my scales went defunct after that little episode. The problem I was having with my carat scales was it was digital, and made over seas, but the calibration per gram was +/- 0.03 grams.
    Nothing too far out of the ordinary. I guesstimate plus or minus 3 to 5 percent max on weight watchers tolerances. :)

7. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

The official mint specs are 3.11 grams +/- 0.13 grams , so a fresh mint coin could weigh from 2.98 grams to 3.24 grams. Wear afterwards can slightly reduce, corrosion can also change, but usually within specs. Digital scales use software to estimate the last digit with a rounding function. A scale should have 0.000 or 3 digits after the decimal to be accurate on the second digit after the decimal.

ACoinJob and paddyman98 like this.
  8. Sheila Ruley

Oh, ok. I did not know that. Thanks! Maybe I should get a more reliable scale. now that I know that, it won't be so difficult to tell.

paddyman98 likes this.
  9. furryfrog02

You can get a decent one for pretty cheap. I paid around $5 for mine off amazon.

10. Sheila Ruley

Oh wow, ok. Thanks!

ACoinJob likes this.
  11. Jdiablo30

Jdiablo30 Well-Known Member

I'd suggest spending a little more $$ and getting a semi decent scale. Very very useful instrument in numismatics.

ACoinJob likes this.
  12. ACoinJob

I'm ashamed to say, but was 10th's and 100's of a gram, with 5 different settings, a tare, and a calibration mode. $20 was my best find on ebay.

13. Jdiablo30

Mine was bought on eBay as well for like 20-25ish shipped. I use it more then I thought I would,so that's a plus.

14. furryfrog02

15. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Be sure they come with a calibration weight and function to calibrate, as they can get off with use or dropping :)

16. Jdiablo30

Ye mine has the 100 gram calibration weight. I always calibrate before each use as well,and I am careful with it as it is a delicate scale.

17. I also have a 1944S penny with a weird color. Not magnetic but weighs 3.25 grams? IMG_0820.JPG The planchet is a bit thicker.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2023
    Cheech9712 likes this.
  18. Abramthegreat

Abramthegreat Well-Known Member

In the future I would encourage you to create your own thread. This one is 7 years old.... Your coin looks like a bright coin in great condition, The 3.25g isn't far enough away from 3.11g to mean anything...
    The planchette is just a tiny bit larger than average...

Last edited: Jan 16, 2023
    Bernard Macarius likes this.
  19. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

20. Thank You. I m ignorant regarding all this stuff. My apologies.

Abramthegreat likes this.
  21. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

FYI
    Coins that are attracted to a magnet would be ferromagnetic not magnetic. That means they are attracted to a magnet such as a Steel Cent.

Draft saved Draft deleted