1944 penny

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by jasper07, Apr 28, 2016.

1. jasper07

jasper07 New Member

My daughter found a 1944 penny in her piggy bank and I wonder if this coin worth or not. The penny is not attracted by the magnet and weight 3 grams.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. noname

noname Well-Known Member

Its a 1944 wheat cent Philadelphia mint, quite worn. Minted in the hundreds of millions, only worth maybe a dime, but keep it, nice piece of history.

4. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

What were her grandfathers doing in 1944? Maybe a great family story there...

5. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Regular old 1944, nothing special, worth 5 cents.

6. smarch

smarch Active Member

I believe the 1944 cent contained some cartridge brass in the alloy. Thanks

7. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

"NGC’s Coin Explorer says that “In 1943, with copper urgently needed for combat-related purposes, the Mint made Lincoln cents from zinc-coated steel. The substitute proved unsatisfactory, and from 1944 through 1946 the Mint instead used the brass alloy first tried in 1942; this lacked the small percentage of tin employed before and after the war. At least a portion of this brass was obtained from salvaged cartridge cases, which did the job nicely"

I can't find the article I remember reading a long time ago, that it was mainly a symbolic gesture as the salvaging of "brass" from the large shells in a naval or artillery conflict environment was too dangerous ( some sailors were also swept overboard ) for a larger effort. I remember they eventually decided that unusable brass from small arms training was a good source and allowed the citizens having to do rationing and recycling to feel they were directly helping the war effort.

8. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

I'd pay 2 cents tops for it

Draft saved Draft deleted