1944 penny with raised letters under God

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by MatrixMP-9, Oct 19, 2019.

1. MatrixMP-9

MatrixMP-9 Well-Known Member

I dont know what to think of this. At first I thought it was just PMD (and still, probably is). However, I wanted to post it to maybe find out "how" this could happen and to ensure 100% its PMD so I can put it in my copper jar until melt day arrives.

I dont fully understand all the details of the mint process. I am too part time. Is there anything that can happen at the Mint that could cause such an anomaly? Also, its so faint its nearly impossible to photograph with my cameras. I can see it very good here. I checked and triple checked, it is raised without question and not incused. I circled what the camera would pick up just to help see it. Multiple letters "In God We Trust" have letters underneath. Very odd. Thoughts????? Most importantly, is there a step in the minting process that could even create such a thing? There appears to be an O under the G and O in GOD and a D under the D. I circled it to sort of help. If it werent raised, I wouldnt have even bothered posting this.

IMG_7238.jpg IMG_7239.jpg Snapshot000000.jpg Snapshot000001.jpg Snapshot000003.jpg Snapshot000004.jpg Snapshot000005.jpg Snapshot000006.jpg Snapshot000007.jpg Snapshot000008.jpg

alurid likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 Let me burst your bubble! Supporter

4. MatrixMP-9

Thanks Paddy. I was hoping it might be more interesting but....off to the jar it goes!!!

Should I cry and argue that its a "rare mint error" worth at least a million while insulting you lol? HA! thanks man!

Burton Strauss III likes this.
  5. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

I see what you think you see, but can't think of anything in the minting process that could cause this. I think it is just a case of Pareidolia, but let's see what others think.

MatrixMP-9 likes this.
  6. MatrixMP-9

I agree mountain man. Thanks for confirming at least seeing it though....Its just junk but at least I know I might not being going crazy.

7. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Well, your good photos helped as I didn't see it in all of them, so well done. I think we all have a tendency to see things that we want to see so you're not going crazy. LOL

Stevearino likes this.
  8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Ink blot test but on a coin. It is what you think it is but it's nothing.

9. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I also see what you describe. I see several different letters.

10. MatrixMP-9

I almost see "OF AMER". The O underneath the G....the R under neath the D? Im going to keep this stupid thing aside anyway. Not like I dont have tons of room.

Draft saved Draft deleted