1944 penny has weird yellow stain?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by hurricanes2001, Oct 18, 2018.

1. hurricanes2001

hurricanes2001 New Member

Hey I’m new to coin hunting but I found this penny that has a weird stain on it that looks like it came from another penny. Any idea how this would happen or how to remove it so I can see where it was minted?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

It looks like paint or something. Def not a mint error. Also, looks to be a "Denver" minted cent.

4. toned_morgan

toned_morgan Toning Lover

It looks like zinc rot, but those copper pennies can't have zinc rot. Maybe it's just very old glue residue. Also it looks like an 1944 D, which is a common date, but still a keeper.

5. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Any way to get that stuff off without destroying the coin?

6. Dave363

Dave363 Well-Known Member

I personally don't clean coins but some of the members here on cointalk swear by bathing it in acetone.
    Dave

7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Looks like a common 194? With a paint stain. You can't hurt the coin by using paint remover on it. I normally would not recommend this as is damaged the coin but it's only worth about $.02 to begin with and no collector would want it with that stain and the black spots.

paddyman98 likes this.
  8. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Agree on the paint. I think if it sits in a small glass jar with acetone (and a lid) for a couple of days the paint should rinse off with water.
    There's really no value here. You'll be using 25 cents worth of acetone on a 3 cent coin.

9. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Dried Mustard stain? :hungry:

10. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Edges are fibrous, may just be where it was stuck to some paper or something. A soak in water might work. If not try acetone. And it appears to be a D mintmark.

Draft saved Draft deleted