1944 Lincoln

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Dtort, Mar 15, 2022.

1. Dtort

Dtort Active Member

I have this nice 1944 cent, and think its a MS65 of 66. But the distinctions between the highest grades are unclear to me. What do y'all think? In hand, the coin has nice eye appeal and luster, but under magnifiction, has some dark spots. Opinions much appreciated! WIN_20220315_09_49_14_Pro.jpg WIN_20220315_09_48_32_Pro.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I think the reverse nicks/gouges and the fact that some of the wheat stalks are not separate would preclude the grade from going any higher.

Mountain Man likes this.
  4. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I would hope that the graders have a higher understanding that the nicks and dings in the 11k area of the reverse were there when this coin left the mint. the amount of chatter in the one spot is not consistent with the rest of the coin. I believe them to be planchet marks that where not struck out of the surface due to strike weakness in the that area.(reverse on Abe's shoulder) A very common area for strike weakness on a LWC. Please note that the marks are all confined to that one area, and the weakness at the bottom of 'LUR' and top left of the 'O' in one. How coin graders view this type of of abnormality I can not say.
    It really is a nice and well preserved specimen even with its strike fault.

Evan Saltis likes this.
  5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Closer to a MS-64 than anything.

6. Dtort

Dtort Active Member

Thanks! "weak strike" areas are something I need to get better at identifying. It's not so noticeable under a loupe. This may save me some money in wasted grading fees!

alurid likes this.
  7. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

While all of the above input is good feed back, I believe you are correct in your assessment, so confirmation to you. IMHO

8. Dtort

Dtort Active Member

That "common area of weakness" you mention - that explains something I noticed lately . I have several gem-ish specimens that are gorgeous except for the area on the shoulder right bove the vdb. That area is a slightly different color, and seems less lustrous and detailed than the rest of the coin, and (now that I looked) the "PLU" on the reverse is weak on several. So you just answered something that was kind of bugging me - thanks!

alurid likes this.
  9. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

There is another weak spot for the reverse of LWC, that is the 'MER' area of America
    opposite of Abe's head.
    The same master die was use until 1968 which incurs LMC's until then to have weak spots in the same areas.

10. Dtort

Dtort Active Member

UPDATE: I submitted the coin to ANACS and it is comong back as an MS-66 RED, which is what I'd hoped for!

JPD3 and Randy Abercrombie like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted