1944 D wheat penny missing the I in liberty. How much is it worth?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by shiny coins for life, Jan 19, 2015.

1. shiny coins for life

shiny coins for life Active Member

I was searching through eBay again today and found a 1944 d wheat penny. I was searching for a d over s but instead I found a coin that was missing the I in LIBERTY. There is also what looks like a I on the B. Maybe it got stamped In the wrong place? I have no idea about this coin or its value all input will be appreciated.

Sorry I have no pics because the auction is live and I am planning on buying this coin based on what you say.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Probably due to a grease filled die. Unless is is certified 65 or better, it is worth about 2¢ because of the copper. The missing letter adds no value to it.

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

You're just going to have to go with your gut feeling. No one can help you without photos.

Chris

5. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

In fact, for a large number of collectors and in most grades, the missing letter would detract from the value.

6. shiny coins for life

Wasn't there a BIE error that year?

7. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Does the Ebayer have close up pics of the missing "I" area on the coin? If so is there any resemblance (trace) of an "I" like a ghost image? If not then I'de be warry of buying an altered coin - but that is just IMO

8. shiny coins for life

There is. it looks like the I was placed twice. The ghost image is the same size as the extra metal.

9. shiny coins for life

10. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

In My Opinion.

11. shiny coins for life

12. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Have you any idea how it would be possible for the "I" to be "placed twice"?If you're going to look at such coins, it would be wise to gain an understanding of the minting process, even if only to know what is and is not possible.

You might as well just post the link; chances are that the coin isn't someone you would want to spend money on.

13. shiny coins for life

I'm still going to be cautious about it.

14. Markus1959

Well said - Getting advice from others is better than getting ripped off from lack of knowledge!!

15. shiny coins for life

Can you tell me about the coin? You seem to know about it.

16. shiny coins for life

You gave the description of the coin a few posts ago can you tell me about it?

17. Markus1959

This is my coin I asked about before and got an answer from Conder101 - Maybe same thing happend? Without a pic hard to tell!!

[​IMG]
    Coin wrapper machine damage. The wrapper finger that crimps the end of the roll scraped the 0 shearing it and pushing it to one side creating the slanted "1".

18. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

.009 Cents

Especially if part of it is missing.

19. shiny coins for life

Not anything like this coin.

20. Markus1959

Then put a pic up!!!!!

21. shiny coins for life