1944-D Nickel error

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by dlgilles, Apr 19, 2016.

1. dlgilles

dlgilles Member

I found this 1944-D nickel the other day, while I was going through some of my father-in-law's old coins. I don't know much about error coins, but to me it looks like this nickel must've been bad before it was stamped? Thanks ahead for your thoughts. - I also discovered it's not easy to take a good picture of a coin in the dining room, with an iPhone!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dlgilles

dlgilles Member

Nothing wrong with the front, just a very circulated condition coin, but the chip out of the back is pretty unique. If they were plated, I would expect the plating is chipped, but that's not the case.

4. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

Looks like a winner, a legitimate error. It's called "lamination" on the rev. Nice find!

paddyman98 and dlgilles like this.
  5. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Like TJ said, it's a lamination. These are pretty common on the war nickels. Still, cool find.

dlgilles likes this.
  6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It might also be a strikethrough, but I'd need a better close-up to be sure. I just can't imagine a lamination error with lines so straight.

Chris

7. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

These are fairly straight.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stevearino likes this.
  8. dlgilles

dlgilles Member

It's not a good nickel, but does the error give it a little value to error collectors? I'm trying to determine the value of my father in law's coins, so he knows about what to expect when he brings them in. This nickel would probably have to be sold to an error collector. I am doing a WWII era collection, but he has dozens of WWII era nickels and pennies, and I am just looking for good coins of that era.

9. furryfrog02

Honestly, I wouldn't think it adds anything over the regular melt value of the coin. Again, laminations are pretty common for war nickels.

dlgilles likes this.
  10. dlgilles

dlgilles Member

Thanks- good to know. I need to research these nickels a bit more! Steep learning curve, that's why I am here though! :)

11. furryfrog02

No worries. At least it's got 95 cents of silver in it :)

dlgilles likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted