1944 D Jefferson with crud

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Inspector43, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Most everyone knows that most of the coins in my sets were found in circulation many years ago. Here is a 1944 D Jefferson that has some gunk on it. What would be the safest way to attack this?
    210228111622070.jpg 210228111643194.jpg 210228111738604.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Try to remove it with a tooth pick if that fails it might need a bath.

Inspector43 likes this.
  4. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I don't know of anything that can save a coin from corrosion. Maybe mitigate it with something but it's still going to be there forever.

Inspector43 likes this.
  5. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

If that isn't corrosion, take a cup of water and place it in the microwave and nuke it till it boils. Put the coin in and wait till it cools down and try probing at it with a toothpick. Repeat if needed.

eddiespin and Inspector43 like this.
  6. Inspector43

Does anyone think that distilled water or 40 Volume Peroxide would help? Or, silver jewelry dip?

7. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Peroxide is an oxidizing agent, and I think you should avoid it, since oxidation is what causes coins to discolor. Silver jewelry dip (eZest) specifically made for coins is good in skilled hands and murder in unskilled hands.

Inspector43 likes this.
  8. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

If it’s tape acetone will loosen it some. The etched surface area under there is there to stay, though, unfortunately.

tommyc03 and Inspector43 like this.
  9. Inspector43

I did the best I could, I think. There were pits under the crud that will never be corrected. It does look better, but that is it. Attached are photos of Heads before and after, Tails before and after and close up of the damage before and after. 44 D Heads.jpg 44 D Tails.jpg 44 D Close.jpg

Kentucky and tommyc03 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted