1944 BU Mercury Dimes

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by alhas, Jun 27, 2008.

1. alhas

alhas Senior Member

Is $80 reasonable for a roll of ten 1944 (Philadelphia) BU Mercury Dimes?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

First, a roll is #50 pieces.
    Second, your figures come to $8 each, which seems a bit high, unelss they are REALLY nice.

4. alhas

alhas Senior Member

Thanks for the price guide. This dealer has 10 very nice dimes in this short roll!

5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Did you look to see if they had full bands?
    How nice are they?

Sorry, but "nice" is not a really accurate grade.

6. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Like Treashunt said if they are really nice full luster , FSB then definately go for it .
    rzage

7. craig a

craig a Coin Hoarder

I'd pass on it, unless you can see all the coins. 80 bucks does seem high for unknown condition

8. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

One great coin makes the roll worth it. Mercs in high condition can make the prices jump fast.

Ruben

9. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

even full rolls of ms mercs have been soft lately, unless they were all ms65+ fsb I'd pass.

10. alhas

alhas Senior Member

Thanks to all who have responded with your opinions. This would be my first opportunity to buy Mercury dimes. To give me guidance for buying dimes I went to the following site: http://www.coinfacts.com/dimes/mercury_head_dimes.html
    The description gave me good idea to judge the reverse but no help in grading the obverse.

The dimes in questions do have Full Split Bands on the reverse. I am not too impressed with the splits in the central bands. In addition, the feathers on the Mercury, obverse, are not very impressive either. I have difficulty grading the obverse.

I am trying to attach pictures without much success, but I will try again. I have purchased these coins with a condition to return in 5-days.

Can some one please provide a pictures of a BU (MS 60) Mercury. This will help me make the decision. Thanks!

Al

11. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

The central band is the one that really matters , it's usually the weakest one .
    rzage

Draft saved Draft deleted