1944-1952 Canadian Nickels

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by sdlanodcm, May 18, 2005.

1. sdlanodcm

sdlanodcm New Member

I found 5 different unique looking Canadian nickels and was wondering if anyone knew what the would be priced at today.

1944 - says " Canada V Cents 1944" and has a torch in the middle of the V, also it has 2 stars on either side of the word cents. The back says "GEORGIVS VI D : C : REX ET IND : IMP :" with a picture of a man on the back. The coin is not round but has 12 flat sides.

1945 - exact same as the 1944 coin

1947 - says "5 cents Canada 1947" there is the beaver like coins now-a-days and on either side of "5 cents" there is a maple leaf. The back is the exact same as the 1944-1945 coin and is 12 sided.

1951 - "says Canada 5 cents Nickel 1751-1951" in the middle it has a picture of some building and the bottom has 3 maple leaves. The back says "GEORGIVS VI DEI GRATIA REX" and has a picture of a man (probably the same man as the 1944-1945 coins). Also a 12 sided coin - not round.

1952 - says "5 cents Canada 1952" there is the beaver like coins now-a-days and on either side of "5 cents" there is a maple leaf. The back is the exact same as the 1951 coin and this one also has 12 sides.

If anyone has some information on these coins that would be great!!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bromac4

bromac4 Senior Member

Value,of course, depends on condition so if you can post pictures we could give you a better idea. They are probably worth about $1.00 or $2.00 CDN unless the 1947 has a small dot after the 7. In that case its value would be considerably more.
    By the way, welcome to the forum.

Bill

4. cmccurdy

cmccurdy New Member

1951 Five Cent Beaver High Relief

Can anyone tell me... is the design on the 1951 and the 1951 High Relief coin exactly the same or can you easily spot the difference? :confused:

5. cmccurdy

cmccurdy New Member

Here's A Picture

Here's a pix

Attached Files:

6. bromac4

bromac4 Senior Member

You have to look at the obverse. The second A in the word "GRATIA" points directly to the rim denticle. In the low relief the A points between the denticles.

7. kvasir

kvasir Show me the Money**

You have there a fantastic collection of nickels that reflects an important period of Canada's history. The man on the obverse is King George VI of Great Britain and of course Canada. The Latin phrase "GEORGIVS VI D:G:REX ET IND:IMD:" is short for George VI by grace of God King and Emperor of India.

The 1944-1945 "victory" design during the WWII years has been used since 1943 in an effort to promote war effort. Very likely your 1944 and 1945 nickels was made mostly of steel but there was approximately 8000 pieces of the 1944 nickel minted in tombac (0.88 Cu, 0.12 Zn) with the increase war demand of copper and zinc forced the coin to be switched to steel. Most of the unissued tombac 1944 nickels were melted and only one is known to exist. So in practical terms only the 1942 nickel appeared in both nickel and the tombac versions. Note that the original nickel was indeed made of nickel till part of 1942 when war demanded that the coin be minted in tombac.

Here are the stats for your 1944 and 1945 nickels:
    They are made of steel with 0.0127mm of Ni plating, and 0.0003mm of Cr plating. So you may notice a bluish-white colour from the chromium. Some are reportedly only plated with nickel.

Here are the market value for both of these:
    ...............Mintage.....EF-40...AU-50...MS-60...MS-63...MS-65
    Since 1946, the nickel coins have been returned to its original composition -- 100% nickel.

I have answered 2 other threads about the 1947 nickel so i'll just paste part of the response here:

The 1947 nickel is an interesting one. India gained independence in the early part of 1948 and left the mint scrambling for new obverse coinage tools.

Why?? you asked, what does it have to do with Canada?

Well the obverse was up till then since the beginning of King George VI's reign in 1937 inscripted with "GEORGIVS VI D:G:REX ET IND: IMP:" The same phrase has been in used since George V in 1911. With India's independence in the beginning of 1948, no way could the mint keep on using the phase "ET IND: IMP:" The tools would not arrive for several months but there was still great demand for all coin denominations. Hence coins were struck in 1948 using the 1947 obverse. But to distinguish these coins from the 1947 coins minted the previous year, the mint used a maple leaf privy mark at the end of the date to show this distinction. To further interest the matter though, some of which have only a dot. So there you have it, there would be 3 varieties of the 1947 nickel. Hence your 1947 Maple Leaf nickel was actually minted in 1948.

Here's the market value for the coins dated 1947.
    -----------1947 plain--------1947 maple leaf--------1947 dot
    mintage---7,603,724--------------9,595,124----included in 9,595,124
    VF-20------------------------------------1$--------------40$
    EF-40------------2$----------------------2$--------------90$
    AU-50------------5$----------------------5$-------------200$
    MS-60-----------12$---------------------12$------------275$
    MS-63-----------30$---------------------25$------------450$
    MS-65----------200$--------------------175$-----------2000$

The 1951 nickel you have commemorated the 200th anniversary of the isolation and naming of the element nickel by a Swedish chemist. As this was the only canadian coinage minted in nickel it was indeed something to commemorate. The reverse design shows a nickel refinery. You have noted that the inscription on the reverse is now updated to omit "ET IND:IMP:".

Mintage.....VF-20...EF-40...AU-50...MS-60...MS-63...MS-65

There also exists the 1951 nickel with the regular beaver design. Only 4,313,410 were minted. The High Relief variety of that one worth (450$-3500$) SIGNIFICANTLY higher than the Low Relief variety (1$-100$).

1952 was the last year George VI appeared on Canadian coinage for he would die in February that year. His daughter accended whom is now known to us as Queen Elizabeth II. The mintage of coins with King George VI's effigy continued throughout the rest of the year.

Mintage.......EF-40...AU-50...MS-60...MS-63...MS-65

All values in Canadian Dollars, info and market values from the 59th Edition (2005) of the Charlton Standard Catalogue.

8. cmccurdy

cmccurdy New Member

Thank for such a quick response. I don't understand the word "denticle".

Here's a picture of the OBV, a yea or nea will clear that up for me...Thanks!

Attached Files:

9. kvasir

Denticles are the gear-like/teeth like marks that are all around the rim of the coin.

From that picture you have the Low Relief variety of the 1951 coin. It's harder to find this one than the commemorative 1951! Nice piece!

10. cmccurdy

cmccurdy New Member

Thank You!

Thanks Kvasir, You sound like quite a coin Encyclopeadia, you've been a lot of help and I thank you for your time.

I ran into a deal on a small collection last week that had a few Canadian coins in it (I'm in Georgia, USA) and I know nothing about any of them. I have managed to use the internet to determine which Dollars and Halves are silver and learn [somewhat] about this high/low relief steel nickel but that's about it. I put that nickel on ebay and another [lot of] 14 from the '20's and '30's as well. Maybe somebody will see them and bid what they're worth; if not then so be it. I don't have much in them anyway.

If I may pick your brain a little more, what's this Large Dollar with a goose on it [1967] and a half dollar with a howling wolf on it [1967]all about? Also three small dollars with two men in a canoe on it [1977, 79 & 80] and a 1918 large cent?

There's also a Large Dollar with "Charlottetown Quebec" 1864 - 1964 and another half dollar with some kind of coat of arms on it 1974. Everything has Elizabeth II on the [I assume] Obverse except the penny which has a King on it.

There all in BU & AU condition. Does Canada use the same 70 point grading system that the US does? :eek: *out of breath/deep inhale*, OK I'll hush now... :rolleyes: ... Chip

11. ajm229

ajm229 Lincoln Cent Collector

Those Canadian "war nickels" are pretty cool.... I was gonna pick one up one time, but I never did. I should do that.

12. cmccurdy

cmccurdy New Member

war nickels

US war nickels are 35% silver, do these have silver in them?

13. The_Cave_Troll

The_Cave_Troll The Coin Troll

no, they are nickel/chromium plated steel.

14. kvasir

You're welcome cmccurdy I enjoy sharing the history behind the coin when the opportunity presents itself. Sharing and learning about the history behind the coin is half the fun about numismatics, I think.

I have previously answered about the 1967 goose dollar in another forum: http://www.cointalk.org/thread9231-cleaned.html

The 1967 dollar belongs to a set that came out for the Canadian Confederation Centennial. The whole set features Canadian wildlife
    1c - rock dove
    5c - rabbit, from all the examples i've came across in circulation, they usually have better lustre than any contemporary and even present nickel pieces.
    10c - mackarel
    25c - bobcat
    50c - wolf
    1$ - goose

The 1$ coin is 0.800 Ag, 0.200 Cu; mintage: 6,767,496 (141,741 were melted later) It was the last year the circulation 1$ coin contained any silver.

The 50c coin is 0.800 Ag, 0.200 Cu as well; mintage: 4,211,395. It was the last year the circulation 50c coin contained any silver.

The 50c coin had never enjoyed a wide circulation and IMHO has the most beautiful design in Canadian coinage. I love heraldry, what can I say. The last push in 2002 for the coin to be used in circulation was largely unsuccessful. It had the most mintage so far at over 14 million yet the public and of course people like us hoarded the coins as quickly as they came out. I believe normally the 50c pieces can only be obtained directly from the mint or through special order via the bank. Most pieces go directly to become part of uncirculated/proof sets.

Since 1937, all 50c coins feature the Canadian coat-of-arms. The reverse reflected the changes of the heraldric emblem over the years. The 1974 50c coin featured the 2nd design of the coat-of-arms that had been in use since 1959. This design lasted until 1997 when it was modified slightly.

The 1$ coin did not enjoy wide circulation until 1987 when the new design was released to actually REPLACE the 1$ bill. The large silver/nickel dollar had low mintage and was mostly used as the ground for commemorative designs. The 1$ coin was also released by itself as a special numismatic item offered to the public.

Aside from a couple of commeoratives, the Voyageur Dollar (canoe) has been a design used since 1935 and has been made with 80% Ag and 20% Cu til upto and including 1967. Before 1987, commemorative designs became more frequent since the spectacular goose dollar in 1967.

The new design of 1987 was suppose to be cheaper to mint and was suppose to be a better (and only) alternative to the 1$ bill. Originally the new coin had the previous Voyageur design. But the die was lost on the way to the Winnipeg mint and because of security reason we now have the infamous Loonie coin instead.

The design of the 1964 dollar commemorates the centennial of the Confederation Meetings in Charlottetown and Québec. The centre design features the French fleur-de-lis, Irish shamrock, Scottish thistle and English rose, representative of the then predominant colonial subjects that decided to form a new federal union. It would realise 3 years later when the Provinces of Ontario, Québec, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia joined to create the new Dominion of Canada.

The 1918 large cent you have features King George V.
    It was composed of 0.95 Cu, 0.04 Sn, 0.01 Zn. 12,970,798 pieces were minted. Market values range from 1$- 75$ depending on grade and colour (red/brown taken into account).

On the monarchs on Canadian Coinage:
    1953-present: Queen Elizabeth II (4 effigies to date reflecting her age). Five if you count the 2002 double-date 50c coin that features a special imperial state crowned effigy of her not found in other circulation denominations.
    1937-1952: King George VI. No change in his portrait but his inscription was modified in 1948 from "GEORGIVS VI D:G:REX ET IND:IMP:" to "GEORGIVS VI DEI GRATIA REX" reflect India's independence. You can read more about how this event affected the 1947 coinage here: http://www.cointalk.org/showpost.php?p=71995&postcount=3
    1936-1936: King Edward VIII (For the sake of completeness). Technically he was King of Canada until his abdication. Obvious his reign was too short to warrant any coinage.
    1911-1936: King George V. In 1911 his inscription was GEORGIVS V REX ET IND:IMP: and thus referred as the "godless" issue. Public outcry pushed the immediate return in the following year of the phrase "DEI GRATIA" - by grace of God.
    1902-1911: King Edward VII
    varies-1902: Queen Victoria. Since the days of British North America and till Confederation in 1867, Queen Victoria had been on the reverse of all coinage. Various portrait design exists across different provinces and territories. 2 major designs and number of small variations exists.

Yes the 1-70 grading system is pretty much the standard here.

Info and values in canadian dollars, and regurgitated from the 59th edition (2005) of the Charlton Standard Catalogue.

PS: I'll post the values next time or someone else can find them... too... tired now....

15. Harry Behemoth

Harry Behemoth Junior Member

16. Fishfly

Fishfly Junior Member

cmccurdy,
    Those are very nice photo's.

17. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

This thread is Five years old.....most of the posters are long gone.

Draft saved Draft deleted