1944, 1949, and 1956 nickels

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by carmrunn, Oct 25, 2012.

1. carmrunn

carmrunn New Member

Hi I have a 1944 nickel that has GEORGEIVS VI D:G REX ET IND :IMP: on one side, and on the other side it has Canada with a V and a torch in the middle with a maple leaf on each side of the word CENTS. It is also a bluish silver colour.
    I also have a 1949 nickel with GEORGIVS VI DEL GRATIA REX on one side on the other side it has the beaver.
    The other nickel is 1956 with ELIZABETH II DEL GRATIA REGINA and the beaver on the other side.

If someone can tell me about these coins it would be greatly appreciated. I am clueless about coins.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

All fairly common, as far as I know. The 1944 has a V for Victory, made of zinc coated steel I beleive, but I don't have any reference materials here at work.
    What did you want to know? Mintages? Value in certain grades?

4. carmrunn

carmrunn New Member

I just wanted to know if they were worth anything??

5. Lon Chaney

Depends on the grades, and I haven't bought anything new for my Canadian nickels lately, but I'd say that 25 cents each would be top for the Georges, probably closer to 10-15 cents for the Elizabeth II one.

6. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

The Canadian nickels of 1943 and 1944 were dubbed "Tombac" due to the changed composition because of wartime rationing of certain materials. In this case, nickel and copper were both saved for the production of guns, tanks, canteens, etc.

7. Urban_Lawyer

Urban_Lawyer Half dollar nerd

Could you post some pictures of the nickels? I'm not sure I've ever seen a George VI nickel before.

8. Lon Chaney

I'm pretty sure the tombac ones were partway through 1942 and 1943. 1944-45 are steel or something like that. They rust.

Draft saved Draft deleted