1943s copper DDO cent with silent 3 ?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Mirza Beck, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Mirza Beck

Mirza Beck Member

Hello Friends, its been a long time since I posted. I think this is worth a post for all that love Lincoln Cents. When it came out the roll, I put it to the side, and asked a person who has 20/20 vision to see if this is a 3 a 1943. He twirled it in the light for a few seconds and said " Its a 3 " I did not have my magnifying glass with me at the time. I asked him 3 times. He said " Nothing would fit but a 3 in that spot.

I took it home. Took several photos, but I was tired from my daily work shift and the 1st set of pic did not satisfy me. So, I twireled it in the ligth with a magnifying glass in hand. And I too saw the dying smashed impression of the 3 for a brief seconds.

A while ago I had brought a lot cents form some guy that collected them for years. And in that lot was a bunch of steels as well. I am sure, that I had more than one that I held in my hand that had the 3 missing or smithred etc. I checked ebay and etc to find a similar die that casued this to happen on a steel cent. But only the 4 silent in 1943 showed up online. Do you have a steel cent 1943 with a silent 3? It would be nice just to compare... Perhaps we can match the plates.

I did the magnet test. Its copper.

I took a second set of pictures with different lighting conditions and setting. The surface is clean no scratch marks or tolling used to create that. But there is subtle die clash overlapping the DATE area making it a bit hard to see the 3 with a Camera. So GOD guided me put it flat on a paper scanner and that produced more desired reults with ofcourse the die clash and stuck thru errors within it on bottom part of linclon coat area overlapping towards the DATE.
    The S mint mark is there. Some photos show more of its detail then others.
    When it came out of the roll I realized the letters are a bit bigger then normal just with a naked eye. I have seen so many of these in my treasure hunting. The DDO part is hard to capture but I saw some minor details just to begin that side later if the 3 is confirmed by more eyes. Or the likey hood of it being there?
    The reverse is a bit FAT as well...ONE CENT is a bit bold. Hard to get into the doubing due to the gluey way of the surface making it hard to get into the doubling edges-lines

In the future I have a appointment with a friend who has a microscope that can take a pic to really get into the details. Till then this is what I have to show as pic. aAppreciate your views and vote.

God Bless
    Beck
    PS: The black n white photos are from the scanner. The Liberty and date photo I had to tilt the coin to get inside the doubling.
    2 excellent view of 3.JPG 2 excellent view of 3.JPG 1 nic.JPG DSCN1338.JPG liberty n gate.JPG Doubling showing iin LIBERTY inU R S T of trus s mint markt.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

The copper cent looks like a 1944 to me. The "hidden" 4 is probably due to a grease-filled die. The 1943 "Steelie" missing the 3 is probably due to a grease-filled die, too.

Chris

Kentucky, Seattlite86 and paddyman98 like this.
  4. Mirza Beck

Mirza Beck Member

Thanks for your view.

5. Mirza Beck

Mirza Beck Member

It was a cheap paper scanner. I am putting on a more dpi scanner asap. Camera is hard to get into 3ish area. The scanner shows more of the truth easier. I am hoping it would clear up the mystery behind the 3 in 1943. God willing, Amen!

6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I also see a 4. It's a 1944 Shell Casing Cent.
    I prayed about it and felt it was the correct determination.

quote - "Lincoln wheat cents were made with metal recycled from ammunition shells." closed quote
    I want to share this webpage with you - http://www.coinvalues.com/wheat-pennies/1944

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
    19Lyds, Kentucky, furryfrog02 and 2 others like this.
  7. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

It almost looks to me like your 1944 copper cent was tooled, but either way, I definitely see a 4 there. The easiest way for me to tell was to not magnify your photos but look at the cent-sized thumbnail you posted. The 1943 steelie missing the 3 is likely a grease filled die and fun to own.

8. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Look at the 3rd thumbnail photo.and see that the bottom of the blob does not extend far enough south for the '3'of a 1943 cent, the style of the tail of a real 3 extends as far as the the tail of the '9'. It appears an altered 1944. Photo from old thread.

[​IMG]

9. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I see 1944 as well.

Jen04976 likes this.
  10. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

to big of a post for 2 common wheaties....

furryfrog02 likes this.
  11. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I also see a 4.

12. anderspud

anderspud Active Member

You might repeat the lighting setup for photo #5 but also use a small bright light, like a pen flashlight, played close at an angle to the top of the date.

13. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Thats a 1944 Cent and all the words and pictures that can be written and/or taken will not change that basic fact.

Jen04976 likes this.
  14. anderspud

anderspud Active Member

Lord help us. 19Lyds must have a crystal ball.

15. Christobal

Christobal Well-Known Member

44 to me too. Sorry.

16. enamel7

enamel7 Junior Member

44 here also!

17. Mirza Beck

Mirza Beck Member

DSCN1514.JPG 4 under 4  with 3 on the other pic showing 3  3.JPG 4 under 4  with 3 on the other pic showing 3  3.JPG I went to a copy center that has a bigger machine and paid for some scans. It showing a tail coming out in line with the 9's tail. How can that be possible. I am working on better clearer crispy pic. I have so many on my computer but to post that much would be...I may make a movie and upload to Youtube with all the various pic that I have to make heads n tails of this. Its fun...and I found another coin a 1939 nickel DDO. This the most recent pic I took with my camera trying to show its only a 3 that could do that. But I respect your views and votes RSCN1525.JPG

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  18. anderspud

anderspud Active Member

! tend to agree that the best guess would be 44, but that is only a guess. Trying to pick an edge by shiny a small bright light held horizontal to the date could give evidence that there is substance in the blurb.

19. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

:facepalm: Buddy. You will never convince anyone that you have a 1943 there. Take it to a coinshop and they could give you a better evaluation since you don't agree with any of ours.
    God bless you.

20. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

No, but I do have eyes and experience.

21. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Sorry, but it seems to be very clearly a 4... I believe your coin was tooled because of the gouge over where the number is supposed to be. That's not a natural pit to have in a coin. Here are a couple of photos to help illustrate. I hope you'll take it to a coin dealer to be looked at, but I suggest you not spend any more time trying to get photos or a video to prove it is anything other than a 4 as it will be in vain and cause you to waste money... Best wishes with your collecting.
    coin 1.JPG coin 2.JPG RSCN1525.JPG

paddyman98 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted