1943D Steelie Crazy RPM can’t find attributed anywhere! OPINIONS?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Time2Shine5299, Mar 7, 2021.

1. Alright my fellow coin junkies, here’s a pretty cool one! Here I have a BU 1943 D steel cent, as the title says, with some crazy looking RPM stuff going on! I know this much, that it IS an RPM of some kind, no matter what the actual letters and how many there are of them and I can’t find an attributed example ANYWHERE that even comes close to this RPM example!

I think I’ve seen AT LEAST 3 possible different mint marks and from a certain angle, I swear I saw an “S”! There is the rounded mark below the left side of base of primary D, that has a curvature to it that would almost be the front @ base of a horizontal D, then I see the D that comes way out in front of the primary, to the East, but then there is ALSO some weird mark INSIDE the primary D opening, that doesn’t line up with either of those. And there also might even be a little piece of something sticking out the top of the primary! And like I said, I swear there is an S, somewhere in all that craziness. I think I saw that with the mark below the primary, being the end of the lower curve of an “S”! I dunno, but I DO know that this one is a trip and I CANT WAIT to hear everyone else’s ideas and what y’all see!

In advance, I have to just apologize for the photos not being super perfect, I do the best I can. These are taken with a decent quality (not the cheapest option, by any means!) WIFI digital microscope w/ a 4.3” lcd screen, that wirelessly transfers the scopes view to my iPhone and I snap the photos directly on my phone, which is super convenient for stuff like this and for sending pics to people, posting for sale, etc. Don’t ever have to deal with SD cards and transferring to different devices with one or by connecting a cord to a computer or any of that stuff. So it really is great! But the image quality just isn’t spectacular and I’m pretty sure it has something to do with me and how I am doing it, but as of now, this is the best I can come up with. But I Believe they are good enough to show what needs to be shown for accurate depiction of the details and the anomalies present, that I am trying to share. So HERE YA GO! LET ME KNOW WHAT YALL SEE, PLEASE?!?

And IF it truly is a variety that hasn’t been attributed and is a discovery, how valuable of a discovery and addition to the attribution lists do you all think this is? And any ideas of a value for such a coin, shall I want to sell it raw? Because sending it off for grading wouldnt be wise, correct?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice given and for your time in checking it out! I hope everyone is doing great on this beautiful Sunday on this earth and you and your families are happy, safe and healthy during these tough times that our world is experiencing!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

This is my honest Opinion, It looks like damage to the Mint Mark .

capthank likes this.
  4. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

That isn't an RPM. The coin looks plated.

capthank likes this.
  5. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

I think it looks like a worn die issue. Wait for experts.

Spark1951 and spirityoda like this.
  6. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

This could easily be from a deteriorated die issue.
    When a coin is sprayed with plating it tends to build up around the devices, especially when sprayed heavily in highly detailed areas.

7. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

I agree looks like a worn die issue.

capthank likes this.
  8. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Not an RPM.
    Die Deterioration.

9. Oh lawd! Well, that’s not what I was hoping to hear from y’all! Haha! I agree that the one that sticks out to the east of the primary looks like deteriorated die doubling, BUT the marks inside the D and the one below the D and some of what’s right in front of the curved part of D, are absolutely not die deterioration. They are raised, sharp, pronounced lines that aren’t part of that shiny reflection almost looking die deterioration markings that you are all talking about. Try to leave that out of your mind and focus in on the other raised sharp line marks in and around the D. I’ll try to snap some other pics that show those better and not so much of the DD mark.

capthank likes this.
  10. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

11. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Welcome. Your excitement is palatable but I think the lighting and high magnification is giving the impression of what you think it is. I hope I'm wrong and you have truly discovered a new RPM, but I wouldn't make any bets on it. You could send it to ANACS for authentication at a reasonable price. Good luck.

12. Ok, sorry for the delay in the different photos where the lighting doesn’t highlight the DD doubling. Because there IS actual mint mark repunch marks in and around this D. I hope y’all can see it as well as I can on my end. hope everyone is well!

Attached Files:

capthank likes this.
  13. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

The area around the mintmark is not an additional one due to its size and irregularities. There are no other RPM impressions on it. To get a true answer on the question of replating, take a photo of the edge please. The steel sheet for planchets was plated with zinc before the strike so the edge of an original 43 cent is dull steel gray or even some rust. If the edge is similar color and refection of the surface, the whole coin has been zinc plated which covers all surface.

Jim

John Burgess likes this.
  14. GH#75

GH#75 Trying to get 8 hours of sleep in 4. . .

Sorry, but no there isnt. That's called DDD. Die Deterioration Doubling. it means the die Deteriorated and made it look like that. Its obviously not an RPM as the area is smooshed from striking so many coins.

15. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

.....or because it's been plated,
    and the plating 'shifted' to give
    the impression of doubling.

There is no error on that coin or that die,
    I'm sorry to say.

16. Y’all, u SERIOUSLY don’t see the raised lines both to the bottom left and a small one above and inside the D? I know what DDD is and yes, that is present. BUT that’s not the anomalies I am talking about snd that ARE the RPM. DDD doesn’t cause sharp, raised lines, like what is exhibited here around this primary MM. is it my photos? Because they look more than sufficient and with the anomalies that I am trying to share, fully visible, on my end and on my device. But I am starting to worry that something is going on that they are not showing the same on the other end (you guys end) as it is on mine. Because it doesn’t seem that I can ever get a proper and accurate response, that truly is formulated AFTER seeing what it is that I know is there to see and that is what I try to explain. I swear, I know I’m not losing it and I never get any kind of positive response or anything other than “DDD” “PMD” “DIE DETERIORATION” or my favorite, that I am just straight up seeing things that aren’t actually there! Haha!
    It’s all good. I guess I’ll just give up on trying to share and get input. Well, unless it is something that is truly undeniable and able to be seen sooo strongly that a monkey couldn’t deny its existence! But then again, those aren’t the ones that I would need or want input and opinions on! LMAO! Oh well... I hope everyone is well and safe and healthy, during all this craziness that we are all having to endure, in this world lately. I’m out!

17. And what are you guys talking about with this “plating” stuff? This coin hasn’t been plated and if I said anything like that, I didn’t mean it and it was a mistake. Def no plating on this one friends! But anywho, this one is dead. I’ve got plenty more and I may throw some more up, just to see what everyone says. Lol

Cheech9712 likes this.
  18. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

It's been plated.

View the two bottom photos of the full coin,
    obv. & rev. at the top of this thread.

Kentucky likes this.
  19. I’m sorry brother, but most def not plated. Lol

20. VistaCruiser69

VistaCruiser69 Well-Known Member

Interesting divot looking area on the reverse under the "AM" in America. Almost looks like the divot was present before the pressing process, because the "AM" look to be on top of it. Does anyone else notice this too? Or is it a simple case of damage after it left the mint?

The coin itself overall looks a bit strange to me. I've got loads of these 43's and none look quite like this one above. Almost like it's a fake, probably because it's plated with some type of finish perhaps.

21. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

Definitely plated, because that's what it is, galvanized steel with a zinc coating.
    Now we could argue that it hasn't been reprocessed if you like, but the coin clearly has been plated because that's how they were made.

BUT, the mint galvanized the sheet of steel with zinc, then they punched out the blanks. this is why the edge is bare steel on non-reprocessed steel cents, and how you tell if a steel cent is reprocessed.

if the edge is silver like the rest of the coin, it's reprocessed. but either way the coin is in fact "plated".

Lincoln cents since 1983 are copper coated zinc. they are punched out of the zinc sheet and then plated. the edge is not exposed, but that isn't the way they did it with the steel cents.

So, if you please, some pictures of the coin edge would be useful in determining if this is a reprocessed steel cent.

capthank likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted