1943 wheat penny with dropped letter?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by i2i, Jun 24, 2019.

1. i2i

i2i Active Member

I dont think its incuse but it seems to have tripled up the U... 20190624_211116.jpg 20190624_211202.jpg 20190624_210945.jpg 20190624_210852.jpg 20190624_210632.jpg 20190624_210622.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Autoturf

Autoturf Well-Known Member

Looks like the zinc coating flaking off.

4. i2i

i2i Active Member

I think you are looking in the wrong location...and seeing reflected light/shadows. Look at the full obverse pic again.

5. i2i

i2i Active Member

6. Autoturf

That's what im looking at, the zinc coating is coming off the steel? am I looking at the area between R and U, the steel is starting to rust under the zinc. I hope Im talking about same thing you are.

7. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

8. Kasia

pareidolia

paddyman98 and Autoturf like this.
  9. Autoturf

hrm, I would say so, I mean it looks like a reprocessed coin, but I don't see any dropped letter. that's something flaking off the steel.

10. Autoturf

You and tavern arm hanging out too much. lol

Kentucky and Mernskeeter like this.
  11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It's a 76 year old steel Cent coated in Zinc. I'd say that coin looks pretty darn good! And it hasn't been reprocessed. A rust spot is probably starting to for under the Zinc. Not an error. Not tripled. Not even Doubled. The U is normal.

paddyman98 likes this.
  12. Autoturf

It does not look good, don't know why you would say that.

13. i2i

i2i Active Member

Lol. No. It's obviously something. Of course I'm trying to figure out what...but I'm not sure what it is. So, your definition doesnt apply.

14. i2i

i2i Active Member

There are lines in the center of the U from push doubling, I believe. The R and S show some signs of push doubling also.
    Again, if you look at the full obverse, you dont see much issue with the lamination. However, a dropped letter could explain why it might be starting to deteriorate. ...if it was pushed into the zink, and caused a local push doubling? A close look at the 3 in the date may also show doubling??
    Anyway,

15. i2i

i2i Active Member

No flash on these pics (below)...these coins were purchased at auction....for pennies.
    Many are in great condition. I opened one sealed roll of 1950's and immediately closed it right back up after taking one pic.
    20190625_003732.jpg 20190625_003000.jpg 20190625_002937.jpg

16. i2i

i2i Active Member

...you see I stated, "I dont think its incuse". This means that i cast doubt on it being a "dropped" letter. However, now the idea that a dropped letter on zinc could cause it to deteriorate quicker than surrounding areas?
    Anyway, I'm acknowledged in many scientific journals for work involving microscopic discovery, including new discovery of microscopic tumors never identified previously. I use scientific method, not emotion or guessing.

17. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Yes it does! I agree with Paredolia!
    You new collectors come on here and think you know better. You ask questions then don't want to accept any of them. Ridiculous.

frankjg likes this.
  18. paddyman98

Maybe You should create your coin questions over at some Medical Science Forum..
    Coins are not biological organisms!

19. paddyman98

Don't forget something that some people lack.. Common sense!

20. Kasia

You are wrong. And it is not my definition. I said it was nothing and you were seeing things. Pareidolia is seeing shapes, etc. in things that are not really there. It is a thing. Everyone has it.

21. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

There is no such thing as "a dropped letter" on coins. Coins are made from hard metal dies with a design engraved on the Die.

Draft saved Draft deleted