1943 Wheat Pennies

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Lisa Brown Cuccio, Oct 23, 2019.

1. I have these 1943 Steel pennies and as you can see they are in bad condition but I want to know if they're worth keeping or are they not worth anything. Both of them stick to a magnet.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Handyman

Handyman Well-Known Member

I personally wouldn't keep those but to each their own.jmo

4. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

Curious, where did you get them or find them?

5. My husband's father gave them to him and greatly appreciate the information

Islander80-83 likes this.
  6. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I think those two have loss their numismatic value.

Lisa Brown Cuccio likes this.
  7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I can buy a 1943 P, D and S from my local coin shop at $.17 each. He has a box of them with mixed mintmarks, about a thousand or so and he sells them 6 for $1.00. I have put together several nice no rust circulated sets, a few reprocessed sets and for the heck of it, I even bought one set with minor rusting.

8. I will hang on to them since my father n law gave them and he's deceased now

9. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Since they are your coins, you could try and improve the appearance. Some oil soaking and rubbing with a cloth (don't try this on good coins) might take off some of the corrosion and make them look better.

352sdeer and Lisa Brown Cuccio like this.
  10. That's sounds great and I will do that...ty

11. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

I would find a couple of nicer ones and make those the ones he passed down. Only you two would know.

12. Awesome and thanks for advice

13. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

All stell cents stick to a magnet. They are ferromagnetic.

Now if you find a rare transitional error.. Meaning a 1943 cent struck on leftover copper planchets from 1942 then you will have something good.

14. Ok I'm going to look that up because I have no idea what that means lol...appreciate your advice

Kentucky and paddyman98 like this.
  15. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

16. I greatly appreciate your help

paddyman98 likes this.
  17. 352sdeer

352sdeer Collecting Lincoln cents for 50 years!

@Lisa Brown Cuccio steelies are fun no matter what condition imo. You can use these as the lower end of a “condition set” these being at the low end and work up from there. This hobby offers many ways to collect. Here is a nice one I bought from one of my online dealers this one being the other end of the spectrum. He mainly sells circulated examples but let’s me know when he has something special for me. I paid $2 delivered with a satisfaction guarantee if I don’t like it I send it back for a refund or a another coin. I don’t collect slabbed coins so I’m a little less critical about the super high end coins but I always get what I want.

Reed
    395B0A1D-2498-446F-A68D-997FB6094EA1.jpeg

18. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

I found this as a kid on Cape Cod along the waterline about 12" deep in the sand; not very pretty...but meaningful. IMG_0958.JPG

19. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

I really like the look on the steelies, so much variability. The reverse "toning" on this one is cool. Picked up for a couple of bucks max. PhotoEditor_20191024_182835481.jpg

Kevin Mader likes this.
  20. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Since they are steel, plated with zinc, they react strongly with acidic solutions and compounds. If it is minor corrosion you might get by with a couple of drops of clear vinegar in a glass of water but the steel edges ( they were not plated ) can react differently than zinc. They are common enough to get one you like to display and keep the memory ones as they are. Jim

Draft saved Draft deleted