1943 steel penny in pretty good condition

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Beardigger, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Beardigger

Beardigger Well-Known Member

I was going through the foreign coins at my LCS and this steel penny was in there. He let me have it for 10 cents. I thought it was in pretty good condition for a steel penny. Best one I’ve seen in awhile anyway. Just sharing.

01809755-BAB8-4578-838F-8C0F389AEBD6.jpeg

EDDD5CA4-2CB5-4984-9422-D76372104F11.jpeg

JeffC likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

I’d probably pay a buck for that so nice catch

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  4. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & avid numismatist Moderator

Not bad, especially for ten cents.

5. JeffC

JeffC Collecting for the fun of it. Supporter

Your post reminded me of a question I've always wanted to ask. So far, I've received 3 reprocessed 1943 steel cents - each gotten for free from Littleton. When I look at each of them, the details are very sharp. Wouldn't that mean that the cent (before it was reprocessed) was in a very high grade condition? If so, why would they go and re-plate it? Wouldn't the original high grade UNprocessed steel cent be worth more than a shiny REprocessed steel cent that they are giving away for free?

6. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & avid numismatist Moderator

Yes, it is likely that high grade coins get reprocessed, and yes, you're also right that they'd be worth more if NOT reprocessed, but who's to say what their surfaces were like before they got the treatment? Maybe they had sharp details but not so great surfaces.

Maybe too they just send big boxes through for reprocessing without looking too closely at what goes in. At present I am not aware of the details of how this reprocessing is done, but would be interested to know. I wonder if it is some kind of electrolysis?

7. desertgem

desertgem MODERATOR Senior Errer Collecktor Moderator

Since they know they will be covering any damage with the replating, they can use almost anything to clean off all of the problems and no one will object

thomas mozzillo and lordmarcovan like this.
  8. JeffC

JeffC Collecting for the fun of it. Supporter

Ah... I didn't think of that.

I "know" that they strip the old zinc and replate it. But I never actually "saw" it, so I can't understand or really appreciate what that entails. I read/hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.

lordmarcovan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted