1943 Steel Cent Unc.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Taylor101, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Melina

Melina Nickel Addict

Damn, I think my 43 cents are plated then :( I'll have to go back and look - Ok to post pics in here for you guys to help me decide which is my best to display?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. McBlzr

McBlzr Sr Professional Collector

We Love coin pics, I just wish I could take better ones. :eek:

4. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

It's nice and unmessed with, but I'm not convinced it is unc. I'm thinking AU.

5. redwin117

redwin117 Junior Member

6. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Hummmm....I wouldn't call that coin UNC. The unc 43's have a nice, bright luster, this coin is rather dull from handling.

The good news is that you can buy a very nice (and bright) PDS set for about $10. These were widely hoarded so they will stay cheap forever.

7. mrobins230

mrobins230 Young Collector

I got 3 BU steels, P-D-S, for $1.25 each. Good deal?

8. Coinsnake

Coinsnake MorganMan

Here's my nicest one. Pretty sure it's original uncirculated since my Father gave it to me out of his collection. Let me know what you guys think![​IMG][​IMG]

9. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

When a 1943 cent is examined, here's what to look for:

If the coin is lustrous the place to look is the edge. If the edge is shiny like the rest of the coin, then this is a good sign that the coin has been re-plated or re-processed.

On an original coin, the edges (sides) of the coins will be dull and quite often have small patches of rust. When the coin is lustrous and the sides look dull, this is usually a good sign that the cent is original.

Never pay a premium for a re-processed cent, they are basically worthless other than for the education they may provide about buying original 43 cents.

10. redwin117

redwin117 Junior Member

SUREELLYYY... GOOD DEAL... That was very very low... You got 3 coins for less than $ 4 bucks..

The photograph below .. I don't know what to say...
    [​IMG]:rollling::):thumb:

11. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

A very good point by Mike. The reason is that the zinc obv. and rev. were plated on the steel core before punching them out , so the edge is exposed steel rather than zinc, thus the rust he mentions, which is steel corrosion. On Coinsnakes cent, the white cloudy haze is zinc corrosion, and it appears original to me. Replating affects the whole coin, and not just the surfaces, so the steel edge area is zinc plated also.

jim

12. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Very original, that's how they usually look in MS grade. I bet that coin has cartwheel luster too. The replates do not cartwheel, they are more shinny and mirror-like.

13. Coinsnake

Coinsnake MorganMan

Yes, it has plenty of cartwheel luster. It looks much nicer and brighter in hand than in the photos.

Draft saved Draft deleted