1943 steel cent strike through error

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Avery G., Nov 14, 2019.

1. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

was this looked at by an LCS over the weekend ?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Avery G.

Avery G. Active Member

If a coin is scratched, oxidation would attack the area where metal has been disturbed first. Shouldn't the scratch be the tone of the rest of the oxidated coin? If it happened decades ago. My coin scratch is a silver color.

4. Avery G.

Avery G. Active Member

Not yet clawcoins. This week for sure.

5. Clawcoins

Oxidation is dependent upon the environment it has been stored in.

But technically a scratch will oxidize as well as the rest of the coin. So a scratch will show newer than the rest of the coin. A "new" scratch will be shiny. Just go to anything rusted outside and scratch it and observe it over time but it will "catch up" in visual appearance over time but not in severity.

I have many coins stored from the late 1960s and 1970s too (including a 1922). I hoarded back then as a little kid too. LOL About 20 years ago I put a bunch of stuff in flips because I didn't know anything about coin collecting like I do now.

6. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

Except that it's a newer scratch, that's why
    it's light in color.

(don't ask 'how new?' as none of us where there
    when it was scratched so there is no time frame)

Stevearino likes this.
  7. Avery G.

Avery G. Active Member

I am going on the belief that my 89 year old mother who told me an approximate year she may have obtained the coin which amounts to about 3 to 4 decades. I've had the coin now for 7 or 8 months in a coin album. The anomalies were there before I received the coin. My mother is not a coin collector per say, she kept what she view as valuable or interesting. She just simply put it with the rest of her coins and literally forgot where she put them. I remember her telling me she kept the steel penny because she thought it was silver and funny looking. The anomalies were there for quite sometime.

8. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

OK, thanks for the clarification.

The scratch occurred long ago.

9. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

You have yet to offer a plausible explanation on how the mark on your coin could be strike through like you claim. You are making the common mistake that many new collectors make. You assume a coin is an error when you can’t explain what caused the damage (although many knowledgeable collectors have offered explanations in previous posts). There are countless ways for a coin to be damaged but only a limited number of ways that an error can occur. You need to explain how the mark on your coin was created during the minting process.

Your coin can’t be a strike through because the line is discontinuous. It jumps over some low points on the design. Please explain how this could happen during the minting process.

BTW: If you are anywhere near Los Angeles, you may want to consider showing it to an error expert in Encino. He’s been selling errors since the 60’s and is one of the owners of error-ref.com. Even the TPGs use him as a consultant to authenticate major errors such as the latest 1943 Copper cent the was sold recently. He is also CT member and responds to questions. If you can’t get to LA, you may want to reread his responses that were recently posted in this thread. Hopefully your expert has similar qualifications.

10. Avery G.

Avery G. Active Member

If a strike through crosses the low points of design and is not retained it will show on the high points only if the strike through wasn't deep enough to affect the low points. Just saying.

Stevearino likes this.
  11. Clawcoins

Correct. but you also have to think of the die, which is reverse of the coin.
    Here on the shoulder
    upload_2019-11-18_14-24-35.png
    you have noncontinuous line from low's of the coin, which are highs of the die.

Stevearino likes this.
  12. PBOYCOIN

PBOYCOIN Member

Here is a struck thru
    DSC_0025 (2).JPG DSC_0026 (2).JPG

Stevearino, alurid and Oldhoopster like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted