1943 steel cent die clash.. Need honest opinions

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mrweaseluv, Apr 21, 2021.

1. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Yeah once they see the plating, it’s all down hill after that. My guess. Very tricky interesting coin. You woke CT up

Last edited: Jan 30, 2022
    Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

really need better pics, perhaps is not processed?? hard to tell, on reverse it does not look it, and obverse words do seem mushy (like if plated), i would love to know what became of it, slabbed? not?/ thanks

4. Cheech9712

Yeah I’m thinking the same thing. I like when I see stuff like that. Really different you know. Has a lot of unanswered question.

Collecting Nut likes this.
  5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Too funny. I’m still laughing.

6. Cheech9712

On the reverse I see a football player. Who’s eyes are inside the C looking right. Lower I see a nose pointing right. And under the C is a chin facing right With the whole C being (the girl quarterback) Face Shield.

7. Cliff Reuter

Cliff Reuter Well-Known Member

Here's a link to a 1943 P (#03) typical die clash from maddieclashes.com
    http://www.maddieclashes.com/tdc-1c-1943-03/

The one in the link has more going on than the OP's coin but clearly shows the clash of the back of Lincolns neck and hair around the C (CENT).

Wonder if it ever got sent in or what the results were???
    (@mrweaseluv )

8. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I'll bet you say that to all the horses.

9. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Did anyone notice the doubled die ? :)

10. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

since it's been resurected, I'll update and say it has not as yet been sent in... didn't have the extra over the holidays, but i got a couple that need to go in (including a certain nickle i won/bought from LordM) Might just be this month with a bit of luck lol...

john65999 and Cliff Reuter like this.
  11. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

The only doubled die is the Class 6, and that one ain't it.

Cliff Reuter likes this.
  12. Cliff Reuter

Where are you seeing doubling?
    IMHO, the obv isn't clear enough and the reverse doesn't exhibit any doubling that I can see.

I agree that the OP's coin isn't a DDO or DDR and there is at least one 1943p doubled die with an atypical clash, as listed in Maddieclashes.com, but it is a class 4 DDO (doubled eyelid).
    Maddieclashes-
    ADC-1c-1943-01 Stage B

Variety Vista-

1943P DDO-015 (15-O-IV)

Doubleddie.com
    1943p WDDO-045

ps. For those keeping track of cross-references between the sites, DD and VV didn't realize they were the same DDO variety. I noticed matching markers to both their varieties when attributing one.

Take a minute to look at the images in the maddieclashes link and see how many clashes of the back of Lincoln's head you can see under "OF AMERICA".

Last edited: Jan 30, 2022
    eddiespin likes this.
  13. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I like the clash. While it may look reprocessed we don't have the coin in hand
    which is easy to tell, when they look like they have been spray painted with silver paint. If it was plated, wouldn't that cover up or obscure the clash?

Cliff Reuter likes this.
  14. Cliff Reuter

Not usually since the plating is deposited in a fairly even layer.
    (Poorly done plating can leave uneven plating irregularities.)

Michael K likes this.
  15. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I see, I didn't know that. We agree the Class 6 is still the King, though. Just checking in on you. :)

Cliff Reuter likes this.
  16. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Well Cheech, it will immediately be deemed a details grade, all that we can try to do is send the OP down the right path.

When has a clash ever sold for that price? Are we talking about the bidiots on ebay again?

Oldhoopster likes this.
  17. Michael K

Yes I thought $125 sounded high, but this is not my area so I didn't want to sound even more ignorant than I am.
    How much for a nice 1943 clash?

18. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Well, I just went and did a sold search, and I can't find anything that sold for that price unless we are talking about a VAM, a flying eagle, But, most that have sold that high are graded and valued at or relative to their TPG grade.
    Most are in the $5 to $20 range.

Cliff Reuter and Michael K like this.
  19. Michael K

That number is what I thought, and my initial thought was,
    genuine or reprocessed, it will not be worth grading.

20. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

yes, and i happen to be one, if you want a coin, then you buy the coin, errors have no set price, or "book" each one is a one-off, so whatever the market will bear....i think 80,000.00 for an ms-68 broadstruck 2020 error is too much, yet the dude offering it recently sold one for 40k, best offer accepted, so??? auction determines price book anyways, ebay is a legitimate auction.., but the price i quoted you was from the idiots that buy from heritage, lol about 4 sales back i bid up to 80.00 then gave up..i am also on there as well as great colelctions, wherrever idots bid, is were i am, if error coins, that is, lol

Cliff Reuter likes this.
  21. Michael K

Wasn't the 40K what the list was, and then he accepted a lower (best offer)?
    No one is going to over pay for something like that because even if they do then they don't pay or get their money returned. People who act dumb to buy overpriced stuff like that have an ulterior motive and no intention to pay that price. He could have a shill buying at that price which will later be returned and refunded (see if it ever comes up for sale again) in order to get other people to think his items are worth more than they really are. If you want to sell something like this, then just set a fair price and enough with all the BS that goes along with it. It's not fun and it's not good business.

Hookman and john65999 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted