1943 s weighing 3.0 grams

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Countrydad82, Nov 2, 2019.

1. Countrydad82

Countrydad82 New Member

I have a crap ton load of steel pennies and this is the only one that weighs this does anyone know why I'm at a loss as to why

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Brian Nguyen

Brian Nguyen Active Member

Have u try to test if it stick to the magnet yet? It does look like someone plating it with some sort IMO.

4. Countrydad82

Countrydad82 New Member

It does stick to magnet

5. Brian Nguyen

Brian Nguyen Active Member

Then, I'm pretty sure it was plating or someone spray paint it, and those add it extra weight on your coin. IMO

JCro57 likes this.
  6. Countrydad82

Countrydad82 New Member

That's kinda what I was thinking thanks for the advice

7. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I don't know what a ton of them is, but a scale with one digit after the decimal rounds off the final digit, so from 2.5 up , it would round to 3.0 , and the steel cent is 2.50+/- .13, so as heavy as 2.63 ( which would indicate 3.0) would still be in range.

Scales now in the 0.001 range are not too expensive
    such as
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075Q44TC9/ref=psdc_678508011_t3_B0012TDNAM

and they have a calibration weight which should be done if you move it around.

Jim

meandyou4ever0 likes this.
  8. Countrydad82

Countrydad82 New Member

It's just kind of weird that none of the other steel cents I have weigh 3.0 all others are 2.5 to 2.7 that's the only one and I will invest in a better scale

9. desertgem

Good idea, but remember the weight tolerances are based by the government standards on newly minted, uncirculated sample of coins. Wear and damage will tend to reduce and corrosion and dirt and grime will increase, the weight of a coin.

Jim

meandyou4ever0 likes this.
  10. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Could be a thicker planchet.
    The steelies are supposed to weigh 2.7
    If your scale is not accurate, wait to get a better one before worrying about it.

11. desertgem

Yeah, I have been so saturated with zincolns that I forgot steelies :) Sorry country Dad

12. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

It was wartime emergency issue. Sheet steel was catch as catch can, even the mint. Tolerances were ignored. I think you have a thick planchet.

13. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Nope, if it shows one place after the decimal it won't round up to 3.0 until it weighs at least 2.95 grams. A 2.63 would round to 2.6 not 3.0

14. Robert Bowers

Robert Bowers New Member

It does stick to a magnet

15. Robert Bowers

Robert Bowers New Member

I have one 43 steel penny that weighs 3.0 grams. Do you think I have a large planchet?

Draft saved Draft deleted