1943 S penny NO S ? details of MM north between 94

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by coinhawk, Mar 28, 2015.

1. coinhawk

coinhawk Junior Member

looking under 10x loop you can clearly see the S tilted northeast and to the north in between the 9 4 with a small trace of S lower portion just south of the tilted S
    i drew a S to show the MM position under date...
    I know im CRAZZY!! to think this is a NO S but L@@K? and im not wearing glasses on this one

WP_20150326_050.jpg WP_20150326_052.jpg WP_20150326_056.jpg WP_20150326_052.jpg WP_20150326_057.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

You should try wearing your glasses! No seriously. I see what you are trying to show us but that is a Philadelphia Mint Steel Cent. They did not use the Mintmark. Simulcra- some dirt or flaw just like that weird spot above the 1943, that looks like an imaginary small tilted s

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
    tommyc03 likes this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Yep! There is no telling what you can see if you look long and hard enough. I swear that I saw a bear in the woods of a MN SQ, but nobody believed me.

Chris

tommyc03 likes this.
  5. KurtS

KurtS Die variety collector

Our brains look for patterns in randomness--I think that's what we're seeing (or not seeing) here. Nothing personal--it's really common in error/variety collecting to see something if we look hard enough. I know because I've done it many times myself. :)

A mark can look like an S, but if it's not the correct shape or size, then it can't be mintmark.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
    Paul M., paddyman98 and tommyc03 like this.
  6. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

BUT.... it never hurts to check with everyone here just in case. Today paddy54 helped me identify a 1908 Liberty nickel variety. It was one of my few dug coins with a metal detector but I had it around forever not wanting to post because it had a couple of bad digs in it. However, I'm glad I did check in or I would never had known. You just never know.

Paddy54, billy b and KurtS like this.
  7. coinhawk

coinhawk Junior Member

thanks for the info, i know sometimes its better to ask than just assume or but you never know!!

KurtS and tommyc03 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted