1943 S is this new?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Comfortably Numb, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Comfortably Numb

Comfortably Numb Active Member

A 1943-S "spiked skull", and a MD on date and MM for an extra little bit. This is also in great shape maybe MS63, but I am no grader just my opinion. I like this one what does everyone think?

17225214733606.jpg 17225214554743.jpg

alurid likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Have you checked out cudoncoins.com ? There are several 4 3's you may wish to compare yours with what's listed.

4. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

My first take is that it has been replated. Take a good look at the edges. If they are coated with zinc, then the coin has been replated.

5. Herbert Dilbert

Herbert Dilbert New Member

Have you ever seen a 1943 copper penny. If so what would it be worth

6. DJman

DJman New Member

It is way up there on the high premium list. Some have sold for 65- to $80,000. There are many trying to plate them among other things so you have to be careful.

7. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

8. Comfortably Numb

Sorry RLM's cent I don't know how to tell. As a side note I have two 1943's from wheat bags I picked up that someone tried to copper coat. So I know for sure people have tried. As long as you have a good magnet with you you can test them for fakes.

9. Comfortably Numb

Oh also Paddy 54 I did check cudsoncoins as you suggested. There isn't one similar, but one of them did make me look at the coin closer. Thats when I saw it also had one going from the shirt collar to the rim so that was cool thanks for advice

10. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

If there is a slight difference in color between the edge and either surface, then it is not plated.

SchwaVB57 likes this.
  11. Daniel Lowery

Daniel Lowery Active Member

All, I have opportunity to buy what apears to me to be a 1943 copper penny. I have tested it with a magnet, and the three seems legit. The coin itself is in corroded condition, as if it has been buried or something, however the date is clear. I plan to take some pics, and will post. I believe I can buy it for $1-2,000 if I feel it is real. Not sure the seller will allow me to send to PCGS? Any thoughts on how I might best proceed?

12. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Some 1948 Copper Cents were altered to look like a 1943.. need pictures!

Michael K likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted