1943 penny black

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Veronica Leonardo, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Veronica Leonardo

Veronica Leonardo New Member

Why is it black. .is it possible to be silver?

Attached Files:

alurid likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dadams

dadams Well-Known Member

Corroded steel.

4. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Steel cents, plated with zinc were made in 1943 due to the need for the government to have copper for the war efforts. They will turn color and /or rust after years in circulation.

5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Do you have a magnet? any magnet.. even a refrigerator magnet.
    If the Cent sticks to it then it is steel.. not silver.

6. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

Before you post on here, I recommend googling. Just something like "1943 silver penny" would lead you to more information. Some members here seem to get kinda mad about posts like these, and if you make too many, I doubt you'd continue to get responses.

Buy this book- just find the coin you're looking at in here and you will have no problem learning on your own.
    On Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Guide-Book-U...244&s=gateway&sprefix=us+coin+,aps,149&sr=8-1

On eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2020-Red-B...4866c0a5b246028783cf78d80c745f&frcectupt=true

Pellinore likes this.
  7. Evan Saltis

Also, this post is in the "Ancient Coins" forum. For future reference, something like this should be posted in the US Coins part of the website.

8. paddyman98

Evan.. I totally disagree with you. This thread is excellent. That is why we are here.. to answer any question. Not to get mad.

You only have been a member a very short time. 3 days!
    You should get to know us a bit better before making bad assumptions about us.

Mernskeeter likes this.
  9. paddyman98

Don't worry about that. We can actually ask a Moderator to move it all to the correct forum.

Evan Saltis likes this.
  10. Evan Saltis

I don't mind seeing threads like these personally, but I saw a lot of attitude and disrespect to a new collecter the other day. I think we agree, just not in the same way... if that makes sense. I love helping out, and I won't get mad, but some elitists aren't as patient as you and I.

No matter what, every new collector should buy the red book. It will 100 percent foster a love for coins.

11. paddyman98

That usually happens when someone new asks a question then we do our best to give the correct answer then we are told that we are wrong and we know nothing about errors! I really hate that!

Kasia and Evan Saltis like this.
  12. Evan Saltis

I'm sorry about that bad assumption- did you happen to see the bitter and angry thread yesterday? Unfortunate that the 3-5 members involved discouraged the new collector from asking questions.

13. Evan Saltis

Either way, no matter what, I think everyone can get something out of this website... Which is why I made an account rather than just lurking like I have for the last year or so. I was nervous to get involved because of my age, but I do not regret finally joining.

I don't think you and I disagree, I think I just am not very good at elaborating.

As I leave this thread, I want to say welcome, @Veronica Leonardo, feel free to message me if you want any more tips on digging through pockets. :)

Pellinore and Veronica Leonardo like this.
  14. paddyman98

A few spoiled apples should not spoil the rest. There are many great members on here with great answers and we do our best to help everyone.. (unless they are trolls)
    Peace :angelic:

Yes welcome to cointalk @Veronica Leonardo

Evan Saltis, Dillan and alurid like this.
  15. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I don't think this is corroded or plated. It's a 1943 steel cent. This is the only year that steel was used as copper was needed for the war effort.

I can't see any signs of rust. If it sticks to a magnet and I think of will, it's steel. Looks like it's been protected from the environment but it just turned that color from circulation and age. It's a nice looking '43 cent.

The best thing about this coin is it has not been reprocessed, replated or cleaned. It's natural. Please enjoy it.

16. Veronica Leonardo

Veronica Leonardo New Member

Sorry I'm new here I apologize

Evan Saltis and alurid like this.
  17. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Welcome to Coin Talk. Your cent is a nice looking original coin. The Zinc plating on the surface of it has "Toned" to a dark color due to it's age and where it has been stored. Zinc coin are known for turning black. Its what they do.

18. Dillan

Dillan The sky is the limit !

No apology necessary , we all have to go through a learning period especially in the beginning stages. The learning never stops ,I learn something new every time I login . Welcome to @Veronica Leonardo , and @ Evan Saltis. I will recommend that if your using your real name to use an avitar or nickname for your threads only helps keep you safer . Dillan

Mernskeeter likes this.
  19. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Wow. Two days and you think you understand this place. There is much more to it than you understand.

20. Evan Saltis

No blame on you! I fully understand, and like I said before, welcome.

21. Evan Saltis

Please, like I said in another reply, I've lurked here for about a year or so. Just never felt as if I had anything to contribute. Either way, I'm not claiming I understand it here. On that note, I'm leaving this thread.

Have a good holiday, everyone :p

Draft saved Draft deleted