1943 P Jefferson odd color??

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Ace H, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Ace H

Ace H New Member

Found this in my change jar last week. This nickel has a very distinctive color compared to the ones right next to it. I was watching the video posted from blueridgesilverhound that looks just like this coin. Did I find an error coin???[​IMG] 20180818_121133.jpg 20180818_121038.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

No sir. You found a silver coin. Nickel was needed for the war effort in 1943. So nickels were minted in silver. Identifiable by the large mint mark over Monticello.... The YouTube videos will send you down a path of chasing your own tail. While the silver certainly does make this nickel worth more than face value, its not something of immense value. Maybe .75 to $1.00 thereabouts.

4. Idries Pappas

Idries Pappas Well-Known Member

Nope, just a normal war nickel. 56% copper, 35% silver, and 9% manganese. Worth about a dollar.

5. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

This is the "$11k cn coin" - https://www.pcgs.com/cert/84975382

Does your coin have silver in it or not? I doubt someone here can tell you just by looking at images.
    Take it to a jewelry store that has a XRF and they'll tell you the exact composition.

alurid likes this.
  6. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

And what did good old BlueRidge suggest in his video? I'm just wondering if this is yet another example of him misleading folks for those almighty clicks and subscribers....

7. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Variety of patinas on the war nickels. It's a keeper.

8. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

What are the those?

9. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

Your coin is a normal silver Warnick.

10. SilverDollar2017

SilverDollar2017 Morgan dollars

Normal war nickel with 35% silver.

11. Prez2

Prez2 Well-Known Member

I enjoy Blue's videos and I even learn things watching them. Don't ever recall him misleading anyone (certainly not intentionally). Can you give me an example where he misleads people? I have no dog in the fight. I'm just curious.

12. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

I've already addressed this in at least one thread you've participated in as well as a number of other times if you wish to search it out.

Also, and to be very clear: I've never once suggested his videos shouldn't be watched if strictly for entertainment purposes. What I have said and still stand by is that they are best avoided by those looking for solid, reliable, and unbiased information. This hobby is already a mine field for new collectors, especially since a large percentage of them have dreams of easy riches, and I refuse to respect anyone willing to wantonly mislead or misinform others in order to make a buck and/or to get attention. The man has a decent following and could do some good if only he cared enough ensure his claims/info correct and dropped the clickbait nonsense. The fact he doesn't and certainly knows better tells me exactly where his priorities are.

That all said, here is one fairly recent post, but again there are others if you care to look...

With all due respect: you may want to rethink that "certainly" part.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  13. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

14. Ace H

Ace H New Member

I certainly do appreciate all the comments, I am in the process of finding a local jeweler to try and determine its composition. I do find many of the videos interesting. Any opportunity to find out additional info with ease I think is a positive. Still do my own due diligence.

15. Ace H

Ace H New Member

Late 1930 and 1940 nickels

16. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

No need to find to do a compositional analysis. Circulated war nickels usually have a very distinctive appearance due to the alloy. Yours matches it perfectly. Contrary to an earlier post, there are numerous members on here that can tell you the composition when it looks like that, and you've already gotten feedback from them.

Nice find. Worth about a buck or so in silver as others have pointed out.

17. Prez2

Prez2 Well-Known Member

I did re-read your included post and I understand your premise but I think 'clown' is a bit strong. I've watched many of his videos and though I already know many of what he presents I still find his videos interesting and while I sort of agree that he that he tends to 'overdo it' a bit here and there, I think his videos intentionally mislead anyone. One thing I find fascinating in his videos is his whole presentation of modern coins selling for such high price tags. I get that coin A grades higher than coin B and so it's 'worth' more than the other but it amazes me that these relatively potentially available coins do fetch such a price. You're correct when you represent that he is more of an entertainer than a 'purist' collector and presents his information in that way. So the entertainment point you raise I can find agreement with because I do kind of look at his videos for entertainment MOST of the time. I think he's good for the hobby and I wouldn't call him a clown but we're all certainly entitled to our opinions. I can also agree that the seasoned collector (whatever constitutes that these days) wouldn't find his presentations all that informative for those kinds of collectors. I can't honestly say he 'misleads' anyone though. I guess I can appreciate him in that I have pulled so many coins from circulation myself that are of reasonable value versus face value and are a part of my collection. So I see where you're coming from but 'misleading' or 'clown' wouldn't be accurate IMHO. No offense though and as I said prior, we're all entitled to our opinions. Thanks for the elaboration. :)

18. Oldhoopster

The guy is absolutely misleading.

This is from your previous post.

I get that coin A grades higher than coin B and so it's 'worth' more than the other but it amazes me that these relatively potentially available coins do fetch such a price. [emphasis mine]

You said these are potentially available coins. No, they’re not. That’s why they’re valuable. There just aren’t many available.

(This is not a personal attack or implying that you're doing something wrong, just using your comment as an example)

People ARE NOT going to find ultra high grade modern coins in circulation. Do they have the skills, knowledge, and experience to know what a TPG requires for the high grades and if this varies between series? Between dates? In order to have any chance, someone needs to look at lots and lots of high grade coins and have a good understanding of the minting process. It’s not easy and it takes time, persistence and patience.

Any of that in those videos?

So what ends up happening is the new collectors think all they have to do is grab a couple rolls at the bank and they are on their way to riches because some CLOWN has a clickbait video telling them it’s easy. That’s why so many members of CT despise the YouTube crap.

19. Prez2

Prez2 Well-Known Member

No offense taken. I didn't realize he was so detested here either. I use 'potentially valuable' for lack of a better term. Hunting rolls you CAN get lucky. Ultra high? I suppose that is correct. Hey, I won't mention him again. I was just wondering what he did to earn so much ire. "Easy" is relative. If you have lots of free time, roll hunting can be very profitable (a term the business community likes to use). I've done it. Anyway, now I know.

20. Oldhoopster

Nothing wrong with roll hunting and checking pocket change. I've looked at every coin that went through my hands since I was a kid

As you've probably noticed, CT gets a lot of posts from new collectors who think they found something great. Rarely, do they find a true error, and never find an ultra high grade modern coin. It's frustrating to dash someone's hopes of striking it rich and even worse when they don't want to believe it. Many members feel that this unreasonable expectation comes from YouTube videos and other sources saying how easy it is to find valuable coins. And as you know, it isn't easy.

Best of luck

21. Prez2

Prez2 Well-Known Member

Fair enough enough. I never took his videos that way though, although I can see where some would as he kind of over hypes sometimes but all in all I think that's a good thing. I enjoy him and take it for what it's worth. Think he's simply trying to be motivational but I get it.

Draft saved Draft deleted