1943 P Double Eye Nickle

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by gammaman, Jan 2, 2009.

1. gammaman

gammaman New Member

How rare are these? and does anyone have one to post? I have a whole bunch of 1943 P Nickles and it is kinda hard to tell if any are double eye since the picture in the "red book" is not that great.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

I have no idea (guess I don't read the redbook that closely after all), but interested in anyone's response, so here's a free bump to the top. :)

4. borgovan

borgovan Supporter**

Oh...I was actually going to refer you to the Redbook for a pic. Let me look for something...

5. borgovan

borgovan Supporter**

6. borgovan

borgovan Supporter**

If you have a Cherrypicker's guide, it's in there. I can't post the pic here, due to copyright considerations. You can't miss it, though. There is a very prominent second eye just south of Jefferson's eye.

Per Bill Fivaz, the master die for 1943 had some doubling, so all 1943 nickels exhibit some kind of doubling. This one is extremely prominent, though.

7. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

I have one here that I need to take pic's of for my site---I'll try to do that today unless I get called out. This is a well circulated coin so it should help you find it even on a worn piece.

Speedy

8. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

I can't get a good pic's so I'll try to type out some PUP (pick up points) that may help you find one of these.

Looking at the eye with a loupe...I use a 10x...check about at the middle of the eye. On the double eye nickle you will see what looks to be a spike....down alittle farther you will find something that looks like a half ball.

Looking at those you should be able to make out the 2nd eye. It is shifted out to the front of the face, and then down slightly.

I'm going to keep trying to get some pic's of this coin--

Speedy

9. nickelman

nickelman Coin Hoarder

Welcom to the forum.
    Hope this picture helps.

Attached Files:

• 43dd.JPG
      43dd.JPG
      File size:
      62.8 KB
      Views:
  10. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

nickelman:
    nice picture.

I've been searching for years for one, as a cherrypick.

None yet.

Perhaps the next coin show.

11. 6StepStucky

6StepStucky Member

There are several tuff varieties in the Jefferson nickel series. This 1943P doubled eye aka double eye is among the hardest to find. Most of the varieties in this series are found in the wartime composition and within this date set the majority of varieties are on the reverse. Both the PAC and the Full Step Nickel Club have worked many man hours gathering information on the Jefferson Nickel series. If you need additional information there is a great write up on the Jefferson nickel in the Walter Breen's Complete Encyclopedia of U.S. and Colonial Coins” </SPAN>For anyone interested in collecting coins as a hobby I recommend this book to all.
    nickelman...is yours a full stepper?

12. nickelman

nickelman Coin Hoarder

There is also the 43/2 to look for and lots of RPM's.

13. nickelman

nickelman Coin Hoarder

14. Hestet

Hestet New Member

I have one

15. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

welcome, and post a photo

16. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted