1943 Nickel with P over S mintmark?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by samthul, Oct 11, 2017.

1. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

How much???

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

It appears to be a coin of that era produced by a die that was like a Mexicali taxi with a salvage title and 300,000km,~deteriorated and falling apart. Interesting,but nothing in the value venue.

4. kkathyl0

kkathyl0 Active Member

hammer the staples and if you must use them, better to staple the corners on an angle instead of straight parallel. The excess material you see IMHO is not a S but is from wear of the die and the pressure allowed for the metal to leak out. Die break

fish4uinmd likes this.
  5. fish4uinmd

fish4uinmd Well-Known Member

Interesting...

6. fish4uinmd

fish4uinmd Well-Known Member

FYI...your "nickel" is a War nickel and has no nickel content at all.

With the entry of the United States into World War II, nickel became a critical war material, and the Mint sought to reduce its use of the metal. On March 27, 1942, Congress authorized a nickel made of 50% copper and 50% silver, but gave the Mint the authority to vary the proportions, or add other metals, in the public interest. The Mint's greatest concern was in finding an alloy which would use no nickel, but still satisfy counterfeit detectors in vending machines. An alloy of 56% copper, 35% silver and 9% manganese proved suitable, and this alloy began to be coined into nickels from October 1942. In the hopes of making them easy to sort out and withdraw after the war, the Mint struck all "war nickels" with a large mint mark appearing above Monticello. The mint mark P for Philadelphia was the first time that mint's mark had appeared on a US coin. The prewar composition and smaller mint mark (or no mint mark for Philadelphia) were resumed in 1946. In a 2000 article in The Numismatist, Mark A. Benvenuto suggested that the amount of nickel saved by the switch was not significant to the war effort, but that the war nickel served as a ubiquitous reminder of the sacrifices that needed to be made for victory.[13]

7. samthul

samthul Procrastinator

Well thanks for the help everyone! Much appreciated!

8. Fallguy

Fallguy Active Member

"Whiz" is right! I assume you generated that from one of his shots (prior to the last one he posted) . . . I didn't think there were enough pixels in those photos to tweak such a well defined enlargement . . . mind giving a hint on how you did it? Nice Job!!! Semper Fidelis

9. Lemme Caution

Lemme Caution Well-Known Member

That's a good hint to keep in mind. Thanks! :)

10. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

@Fallguy I used Photoscape ( a free program, because I'm a cheap SOB).
    First I cropped the OP's image, the I re-cropped the mint mark and enlarged it.

Fallguy likes this.
  11. samthul

samthul Procrastinator

love photoscape! thats what i use for everything lol

12. Fallguy

Fallguy Active Member

Thanks much for the info and I'm going to have to give that software a try. When I try that with my off the shelf package, especially less than HD quality shots, the crops are fine but the enlargements become so pixelated that if anything it adds artifacts to the original image. Thanks again, and . . . Semper Fidelis

13. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Well, if the pixels aren't there...all of the programs have to use algorithms to fill in the spaces, and those are 'guesses' by the camera/computer. The
    guesses do Ok for slight enlargements, but the more needed the more inaccuracies are there. Now if you take photos originally using a 5 mp USB camera or regular camera, or older cell-phone camera, they just do not have enough 'solid' info to enlarge, neither on photoscape or the most expensive commercial package. Low light levels make it more difficult also. Jim

14. Silversoul82

Silversoul82 Member

i would like to buy this nickel you have. Can i do that on here.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  15. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Ah in an open forum no....did you read the rules before posting? :rolleyes: I don't think so... :wideyed:

16. Silversoul82

Silversoul82 Member

I
    I moved my conversation to private massanger. I would delete but im not the kind to go aganst something i have done, done.

Draft saved Draft deleted