1943 Nickel with P over S mintmark?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by samthul, Oct 11, 2017.

1. samthul

samthul Procrastinator

Can anyone out there in coin world possibly tell me what they think of this find? It's a 1943 Nickel with what appears to be a P printed over an S on the obverse Mint Mark. I haven't had any luck in figuring it out myself. Thanks!

Attached Files:

George McClellan likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mike Drop

Mike Drop Active Member

Im really not sure but i question if it is an S due to the strange tail like on the left side of the P. Perhaps a P over a die break?

4. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Not an S but there seems to be something there. Never seen this before.

5. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

The 43P has 72 different rpm's. I would think that a date and mm that has been so thoroughly documented. An omm would have been found.
    This nickel is so worn, that I think it is PMD, moved metal,or has been altered.

Paddy54 and dwhiz like this.
  6. Dale Lassiter

Dale Lassiter Active Member

It's a hit, nice find. Wow !!!!

7. samthul

samthul Procrastinator

Here's another photo which I tried to take using manual focus to better see the anomaly. I'm not sure what a PMD is (Sorry, new to this), and I'm almost 100% sure this wasn't altered cosmetically speaking as my girlfriend had it with her other nickels from that era. IF it was a PMD or moved metal, would if have any worth? I'm with you on if it was an omm it would have been found already, but I'm at a loss what it could be, at least from my own ability to research this.

Attached Files:

8. Pickin and Grinin

Pmd is post mint damage, the coin shows quite a bit of it.
    A coin in this shape, would be hard to say exactly what happened.
    the coin has quite a few of these raised areas the line through P in pluribus above the U in united, and many more. this is either moved metal, damage, or an extremely overused die. I think it is damage.

9. samthul

samthul Procrastinator

Here's one more photo from an angle. I can understand how damage could 'shift' parts of the coin, but it seems there's more metal around the mint mark than there should be and no signs of where that metal would have shifted from. hmm.

Attached Files:

10. samthul

samthul Procrastinator

And the front, for good measure. Darn thing is worn! lol

Attached Files:

11. Pickin and Grinin

You tell me. This is what the reverse should look like. 60 rev.jpg It isn't a war nickel and has a different mm location. but the same style reverse.

12. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

I'd need a very clear and very close pic of the mintmark.....

Oldhoopster likes this.
  13. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

What Dave says...

The Coin Talk forum is littered with worn coins like yours with unusual marks people think are mint errors. Most of these can be easily attributed to circulation damage.

However, I don't want dismiss your coin as simple Post mint damage, just yet. I'm skeptical that it is a P/S, but a clear, close picture of the MM would be extremely helpful to determine what you really have. Could be die chips. There are also a number of small round raised areas on the reverse. Cast counterfeits sometimes show this (Counterfeiting nickels has happened)

Until, then you're just going to keep getting a lot of varying opinions

14. Pickin and Grinin

I didn't even think of the counterfeit approach. The raised areas, do have me puzzled. Could it be a heavily pitted Die?

15. samthul

samthul Procrastinator

Let me see if I can get a closer picture of the MM!

16. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

IMHO.. A Die Break (Chip)

17. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

No chip or PMD p s.jpg

Fallguy and Pickin and Grinin like this.
  18. samthul

samthul Procrastinator

As close as I could get with this stupid camera. Wish I had my loop with me at work lol.

Attached Files:

19. dwhiz

@samthul
    I did it for you

samthul likes this.
  20. samthul

samthul Procrastinator

LOL^ I just saw.

dwhiz likes this.
  21. dwhiz

Just a note. When you post images please use full image and not thumbnail Thanks

Lemme Caution likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted